• Page:

TOPIC:

Military training 3 weeks 4 days ago #95088

• cmorls
  • cmorls's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
My great uncle Horace Clewley from Rugeley trained with the regiment until 1898 when he was excused to pursue a teaching career. Would any of his training taken place in London and if so where?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Military training 3 weeks 4 days ago #95089

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1178
Hello c morls
Welcome to the forum.
I'm guessing your Great uncle Horaces regiment you are referring to is the Royal Warwickshire's?
If yes. He served with the 2nd Volunteer Battalion and was discharged as you mentioned in 1898. I believe that this regiment was based in Coventry. I would imagine that the majority of their training would have taken place within the West Midlands. The Warwickshire Regiment 1st Battalion of regular soldiers were based in London.
Regards

Dave
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Military training 3 weeks 4 days ago #95095

• cmorls
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks for the info. Horace met and married a Chiswick London school headmistress and I've always wondered how they fostered a relationship with him in the Midlands and she in London, unless of course his military training took him south.

Military training 3 weeks 4 days ago #95096

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1178
Horace was still living in Rugeley in 1901 and working as a school master. He married May Dorothy in 1905. Perhaps he met his future wife whilst teaching down South? 1911 records Horace as an Assistant Master in a Secondary School living with his wife and children at Ellesmere Road in Chiswick. When WW1 commenced, Horace joined the RASC and was in theatre serving in Salonika and France. He was entitled to a British War Medal and a Victory Medal. Also a silver War badge for sickness due to malaria which he probably contracted during his time in Salonika.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sturgy

Military training 3 weeks 3 days ago #95100

• cmorls
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Horace was teaching at Hammersmith's Latimer Boys School after WW1 but I can't trace Dorothy's 'private school' post.

The Salonika campaign disability may have been responsible for Horace's later apparent separation from his family for periods thereafter. He was on his own teaching at a Berkshire school - Eton, but not THE Eton, prior to WW2 also involved with civil defence management.

I very much appreciated your help with the history.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.421 seconds