Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Fuller - Officer in Army - Great great great grand father I think? 9 months 4 weeks ago #90002

• whowasfuller
  • whowasfuller's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Dear Forum Sleuths,

I am trying to find info on the Fuller (Irish descent)family who moved to Cape Town from Britain during the first Anglo Boer War, and I am hoping some of you may have information to share. Specifically, I am interested in the father who was an officer in the British Army and came over with his wife and two daughters. One of the daughters was named Elisabeth, but unfortunately, we do not have a name for the other daughter. Elisabeth (daughter we know) was my Mothers GrandMother, she hardly ever spoke of her father or his family after they went back to England. Story goes, she fell for a local here in Cape Town and after that her father disowned her and when the family went back to England they never made contact with her again. I know that is very vague, I searched a bit in the forum and elsewhere online, but it seems Fuller is a common name.

If anybody has any information concerning this family, I would greatly appreciate it if you could share it with me or could point me in the right direction. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Sincerely, Ed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fuller - Officer in Army - Great great great grand father I think? 9 months 4 weeks ago #90003

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
Hello Ed
Welcome to the forum.
Do you have a first name for Officer Fuller?
If you only have Fuller to go on, it may prove a tad tricky to help you in your quest.
There are over 925 military Fullers listed on Ancestry.
Around 500 of those within 1879 to 1902.
Dates , Locations and any other relevant clues you may have regarding the family history would be helpful.

Dave.....
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Fuller - Officer in Army - Great great great grand father I think? 9 months 3 weeks ago #90015

• whowasfuller
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Dave, thanks for the reply. I don't have a first name unfortunately. I'm aware of how tricky this will be, as I've looked through list after list of "Fullers" and like you've pointed out there are close to 1000. I'll ask my mom and see what else she can remember, her memory is the only one to go on as she spent a lot of time with her grandmother.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

Fuller - Officer in Army - Great great great grand father I think? 9 months 3 weeks ago #90042

• whowasfuller
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi, so I got some more info, not much. My Grandmother was born in 1908 and her mother was about 20 or 21 at the time, and she family arrived in the Cape while she was still in primary school. So I am thinking they arrived round 1893-4 or 5? It still isn't very much info, I will ask my Aunt next time I see her and hear if she has anymore info than we do. Thanks for any help.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.350 seconds