• Page:

TOPIC:

Gordon Harding Kendall #4082 1 year 2 weeks ago #89293

• RonB
  • RonB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am doing a bit of digging to find information regarding my Great grandfather,Gordon Harding Kendall of the New Zealand 7th Contingent .His Cousin was Gunner Arthur Kendall of the NZ 5th Contingient who died at sea on his way home,and was given a State procession in Wellington.
I have a xerox copy of a photo Of Gordon Kendall ,taken at TeMata ,in the Raglan Kawhia area of New Zealand, attached.
Gordon and Arthur were both of Maori Heritage and both descended from noble lineage in that.
If anyone could point me in the direction of a clearer version of the attached picture ,I'd be very grateful.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gordon Harding Kendall #4082 1 year 2 weeks ago #89294

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 950
Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: RonB

Gordon Harding Kendall #4082 1 year 2 weeks ago #89299

• RonB
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi, thats my great grandfathers Cousin ,also known as Waata Kennara . This a picture of his grave (Urupa in maori) on the Beautiful New Zealand far north coast at Mitimiti.
Attachments:

Gordon Harding Kendall #4082 1 year 2 weeks ago #89300

• RonB
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
My great great grandfather also served in Africa.:
William Henry KENDALL was born on 10 Mar 1826 in Hoton, Leicestershire, England, was christened on 4 Oct 1826 in Hoton, Leicestershire, England, died on 29 May 1875 in
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
KendallWilliam
Pte., 45th (Nottinghamshire) Regiment.
Awarded 1853 South Africa medal for service 1850-53

Regimental Record:
First name(s) William
Last name Kendall
Name as transcribed William
Year 1851
Service number 3071
Rank Private
Regiment or unit 45th (The Nottinghamshire) Regiment of Foot
Period 01/01/1851-31/03/1851
Location Natal, South Africa
The National Archives reference WO 12/5761
Record set British Army, Worldwide Index 1851
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory Regimental & service records
Collections from Great Britain

He went to Cape Town in the 1840's. Met and married ?? Maria Mittens.
In the early 1850's, they moved to Paarl, about 50 km (30 miles) from Cape Town. Where the next six children were born. He worked as a journeyman tanner, labourer and as a prison officer (constable) at the local prison.

George William KENDALL was born on 23 May 1854 in Paarl South Africa, was christened on 20 Aug 1854 in Holy Trinity Church Paarl South Africa, and died on 25 Jan 1951 in Mitimiti, New Zealand at age 96.
General Notes: George was born in Paarl, South Africa, on 23rd May 1854 and was baptised on 20th August 1854. His father, William's occupation at the time was listed as Journeyman Tanner. On arrival in New Zealand, George was eleven. On 24th September 1876 at Waipera, Hokianga, he married Neta, Daughter of Atama Paparangi of Mitimiti. George was working with his brother Tom on the gumfields and is listed in the 1894 - 5 Wises Directory as a storekeeper from Waitapu, Hokianga. George and Neta lived in Mitimiti and had a large family of eleven children. He died there on 25th Jun 1921 aged 67.

George married Neta PAPAARANGI, daughter of Atama PAPAARANGI and Ewa NGATIAWA, on 24 Sep 1876 in Waiparera Hokianga New Zealand. Neta was born in 1854 in Mitimiti, Hokianga, Northland, New Zealand and died on 11 Jun 1933 in Waiparera Hokianga Northland New Zealand at age 79. They had ten children: Selwyn William, Arthur William, Sarah Ann, Maria Mary, Edwin George, Georgina Mary, William George, Katherine Kiri, Thomas Mutunga and John Joseph.

Selwyn William KENDALL was born in 1878 in Mitimiti, Hokianga, Northland, New Zealand and died in 1879 in Mitimiti, Hokianga, Northland, New Zealand at age 1.
Arthur William KENDALL was born in 1880 in Mitimiti, Hokianga, Northland, New Zealand, died on 10 Jul 1901 at sea aboard S.S. Tagus at age 21, and was buried in Jul 1901 in Mitimiti, Hokianga, Northland, New Zealand. A W KENDAL
Full Name Arthur William Kendall
Rank Last Held Trooper
Forename(s) Arthur William
Surname Kendall
Also Known As A. Waata Kendall
War South African War, 1899-1902
Serial No. 2378
Gender Male
Date of Birth 1880
Place of Birth Hokianga, North Auckland, New Zealand
First Known Rank Gunner
Occupation before Enlistment Farmer
Next of Kin Mr G.W. Kendall, Mitimiti, Hokianga, New Zealand
Enlistment Address Mitimiti, Hokianga, New Zealand
Body on Embarkation 5th Contingent
Embarkation Unit 5 Contingent, 11 Company
Embarkation Date 31 March 1900
Place of Embarkation Wellington, New Zealand
Vessel Maori
Destination Beira, Portuguese East Africa
Other Units New Zealand Rhodesia Field Force Artillery
Military Awards Queen's South Africa Medal (Cape Colony, Rhodesia, Transvaal, South Africa 1901 Clasps)
Last Unit Served 5th New Zealand Mounted Rifles
Place of Death At sea aboard S.S. Tagus
Date of Death 10 July 1901
Year of Death 1901
Cause of Death Enteric fever

Obituary
Death notice: New Zealand Herald, 11 July 1901
Father: George William Kendall, Storekeeper (died 1921)
Mother: Sarah Annie Kendall
Died of an embolism on board S.S. Tagus (ship) off Otago Heads. Buried at Mitimiti, Hokianga, Northland.
He was one of the few Maori serving in the New Zealand Contingent.

Additional Information
Before World War I, enteric fever, or typhoid fever, was the scourge of armies, and in the Anglo-Boer War killed more soldiers than enemy action. It is caused by a bacteria entering the body via contaminated food or water. Early symptoms include high fever, headaches and lassitude. Follicles along the intestinal walls later become inflamed, often leading to perforation and hemorrhaging. Other complications include gall bladder, pneumonia or heart failure. At the time of the Boer War, there were no antibiotic remedies for the disease. Further References

Sources Used

Pugsley, C. (1996). Scars on the heart : two centuries of New Zealand at war. Auckland: David Bateman in association with Auckland Museum.
Stowers, R. (1992). Kiwi versus Boer: the First New Zealand Mounted Rifles in the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Hamilton, NZ, The Author.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.556 seconds