• Page:

TOPIC:

conflicting records 1 week 1 day ago #87225

• Ant_Dowell
  • Ant_Dowell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm researching Joseph Dowell, my great Geandfather who, according to records served in the Provincial Transvaal Constabulary.

The research I have done shows his service number to be 11581 serving with the 63rd Co. Imperial Yomanry from 7/10/00 to 1/5/01. it shows his name to be JT Dowell; I can't verify his second initial 'T with other personal records, but it is incosistant with another record with the same service number: JB Dowell, shown with same company details. This is quite likely to be a clerical error, accidentally getting the second initial wrong 'B'.
I've done a search using only 'Dowell' and '11851' and it shows 1 record: 'George Thomas Dowell' with the same number. I've cross referenced this info using military search on Ancestry and it sows GT Dowell to have the same service number, but completely different dob and place of birth ( I have records of dob and pob that are verified) he certainly wasn't born in Forfar, Forfarshire, Angus so this this is definitely not Joseph Dowell, yet they have the same service number.

What's going on? it doesn't seem to make sense. this can't be an error as the surname is correct, company details are the same, but more strange is the service number.

If anyone can shed any light on this, I'd be grateful. maybe a member can cross reference my research, just to make sure I've not made a mistake somewhere along the line.

Many thanks, Ant

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

conflicting records 1 week 23 hours ago #87226

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 371
Ant, welcome to the Forum.

You mention Ancestry - have you noticed 11851 George Thomas Dowell born in Forfar appears on several public family trees (PFT's)? One implies, despite his given names, he was known as "Joe". All the PFT's agree he served in WW1 in the AIF and was killed in action on Christmas Eve 1916. Some have found his mugshot (wearing slouch hat) in "The Queenslander" of 1915.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

conflicting records 1 week 20 hours ago #87231

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3431
Ant,

11581 George Thomas Dowell served in the 63rd IY and was born in Forfar c 1880

He signed himself G T Dowell

The roll for the 63rd IY has 11581 J B Dowell (WO100/127p5) and 11581 G T Dowell (WO100/127p9). Probably clerical errors as you suggest.

The Provisional Transvaal Constabulary entry has 11581 Tpr J T Dowell (WO100/127p1)

Do you have his QSA?

There is a man called J Dowell in the Black Watch but there are no service papers for this man.

There are no other obvious matches. Are you sure he served in the Boer War?
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

conflicting records 1 week 1 hour ago #87259

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 768
Hello Ant
Welcome to the forum.
Is it possible for you to share what information you have pertaining to your Great Grandfather? As previously mentioned, 11581 does reflect different initials. The medal roll for 11581 records a Queens South Africa medal entitlement of 4 clasps. Wittebergen, Cape Colony and Transvaal plus a 1901 date clasp. All attributed to a Trooper Dowell 63rd Company (Wiltshire) Yeomanry. You mentioned the DOB and the Forfar place of birth is not your G Grandfather ref G T Dowell's attestation papers. What was your Great Grandfathers date of birth and place where he was born? Any additional information may help the forum to provide an explanation.

Dave.....
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.623 seconds