Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

John Karran Maltby Kerruish & F. Kerruish, Isle of Man 1 year 7 months ago #84940

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
Following a post I made in the Isle of Man Family History Society's Facebook group, a descendant of John Karran Maltby Kerruish mentioned that he "fought in the Boer War in the British Army, he took his discharge in South Africa, became Principal of School and died in Hospital during the Spanish 'flu outbreak."

Is anything further known about him, and also about F. Kerruish, who was connected with 'steam road transport'?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

John Karran Maltby Kerruish & F. Kerruish, Isle of Man 1 year 7 months ago #84944

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
Hello Berenice
Are we talking about the family Kerruish....Isle of Man grocer's?

1894 has a John Karran Maltby Kerruish at Winchester College London.

J Kerruish Trooper 4950 17th Lancers served in Boer War. However the 1901 census has JKM Kerruish as a grocer in the Isle of Man. I did find him serving as a cadet captain in S A 1906

Will see if I can find more later this evening.

Dave.....
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, BereniceUK

John Karran Maltby Kerruish & F. Kerruish, Isle of Man 1 year 7 months ago #84947

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294

Dave F wrote: Hello Berenice
Are we talking about the family Kerruish....Isle of Man grocer's?

1894 has a John Karran Maltby Kerruish at Winchester College London.

J Kerruish Trooper 4950 17th Lancers served in Boer War. However the 1901 census has JKM Kerruish as a grocer in the Isle of Man. I did find him serving as a cadet captain in S A 1906

I don't know if JKM and F were related. 'Kerruish' is a Manx surname, don't know how common a name it is.

Looks as though JKM may have returned to the IoM, and then back out to South Africa. Thanks for that, Dave.

John Karran Maltby Kerruish & F. Kerruish, Isle of Man 1 year 7 months ago #84969

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
I don't think they were brothers Berenice. But possible related through the IoM Kerruish somewhere down the line?
A couple of extra details from a family tree. The information does mention the 17th Lancers connection. However, further research required IMHO on that.
His Captaincy was probably connected to the cadet force which may have been linked to the university.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, BereniceUK

John Karran Maltby Kerruish & F. Kerruish, Isle of Man 1 year 7 months ago #84975

They were not brothers; I am ignorant as to how closely related they were however before 1600 it appears that all Kerruishes were related to each other but since records were not kept so closely at that date we have no definitive proof. The timeline shown for JKM appears to have been taken from my public Ancestry Tree, I am OK with this. The entry regarding him being back on the Island working as a Grocer is an entry that I missed. His father was John Kerruish the Coroner, my own ggf. At the moment of writing I do not know where in the family F. Kerruish fits though I do suspect the F stands for Frederick there are three who would fit the dates.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Dave F

John Karran Maltby Kerruish & F. Kerruish, Isle of Man 1 year 7 months ago #84976

Dave F, he was connected to Observatory School Cadet Force.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.736 seconds