TOPIC:

Willmot 1 year 9 months ago #84044

• BPWillmot
  • BPWillmot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello everyone,
I have just joined this website and hoping all you experienced Military historians can help me to confirm and get more information about my Grandfather, Archibald Slater Willmot in 2nd Boer War. Attestation date 30/09/1899 (b. 25/3/1882 Brixton). He served in WWI Royal Engineers Special Brigade. In those papers it asked if served before, and says: 'Brabant's Horse, 1902 Trooper'. In my research I have found this at the National Archives > 'This is the nominal roll of the Natal Field Artillery, a colonial unit of the Boer War of 1899-1902. The index was compiled from WO 127 at the National Archives, Kew' >>> 164 Gunner Willmot A. 30/09/1899 - 31/05/1902 <<<
On THIS website posted by 'djb' the following refers to a 'Willmot' whose horse was shot 1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers. >. Horse belonging to Willmot of B. Squadron was killed by a bullet, as also a mule in artillery lines, both stray or spent bullets. I am thinking that he served with Brabant's Horse until this unfortunate loss then switched to Field Artillery. Any thoughts, information would be most welcome. Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Willmot 1 year 9 months ago #84046

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hello Brian
Welcome to the forum.
Having a quick look at the medal rolls for A Willmot 164 Gunner Natal Field Artillery.
This A Willmot was awarded a Queens South Africa medal with 3 clasps. Transvaal, Tugela Heights and the Relief of Ladysmith. Roll dated 28th June 1901.
No mention in the remarks column pertaining to Brabants Horse.
A Kings South Africa medal roll confirms his entitlement to his 2 date clasps , roll dated 20th April 1903. Interestingly there is a roll dated 15th December 1906 which records a 1901 date clasp only. All rolls are located WO100/ 260 . Durban is recorded on all 3 rolls. No mention of any other regiments or attachment regarding 164 Gunner A Willmot.
Do you have your Grandfather's QSA or KSA? As for him serving with Brabants Horse? Hopefully fellow forum members may be able to help? It is possible the NFA Willmot may not be your Grandfather.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Willmot 1 year 9 months ago #84048

• BPWillmot
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you Dave for your reply.

The ONLY information I have about A S Willmot's service prior to WWI is the wording on his attestation papers which I have uploaded as my 'avatar' for you to see.
Brian

Willmot 1 year 9 months ago #84052

• Dave F
Hello Brian
Is it possible you can post your Grandfather's papers separately.
I cannot read the details on the Avatar.

Cheers

Dave.........
Best regards,
Dave

Willmot 1 year 9 months ago #84055

• Dave F
Hello Brian
I haven't been able to link your Grandfather Archibald to Brabants Horse. I have found a record which has him being a member of the 10th London Regiment regimental number 5048. He then goes on to be a pioneer in the Royal Engineers regimental number 129167. He remains with the R Engineers during his service in WW1. He was a Captain when he left the regiment. With ref to the 10th London Regiment, they were formed in 1912 and were active during WW1 and were sent to Sulva bay and around the Dardenelles then to Egypt. Your Grandfather I believe was in the Western theatre of WW1 and served with the RE Special Brigade.
With reference to him serving in the Anglo Boer War? It is still possible he did go to South Africa. The 1901 Census has no record of your Grandfather, although the family are recorded at living at 41 Tufnell Park Road. Interestingly, his 3 older brothers Joseph, Henry and George are all recorded and working for the GPO as electrical engineers. Archibald does appear again on the 1911 census with his 1st wife Amy and 2 children ,Olive and Joseph. Living at 28 Fairfield Gardens Crouch End. He was a employed as a Civil servant (Draughtsman) GPO.
I am going to cross reference A Willmots against the South Africa medal rolls to see if we can find him serving. Alas, at the moment no luck. Will keep you posted.

Dave.......
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: BPWillmot

Willmot 1 year 9 months ago #84065

• BPWillmot
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello Dave,

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this. I do have all his information re employment, location and Army service with his Service/Medal records for WWI. Sorry about the avatar, as a newby to this site I couldn't see how to upload a graphic.

I see now that there is a tab for attachments so now you can see his WWI Attestation Papers showing his stating he served with Brabant's Horse. This ties in with the Willmot horse being shot as seen in this upload by djb.

Brian

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.538 seconds