TOPIC:

Harold "Pop" Collins 2 years 2 months ago #81618

• Peach James
  • Peach James's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I posted in the introductions thread- but this really belongs here:

Why am I here? Well, my great grand-dad served in South Africa during the Boer War. I have his miniature medals KSA & QSA, 1st World War & 2nd go round too- all the way up to his MBE awarded for his work on RMS Ordurna particularly off North Africa.

Now, the story gets...hazy...about how he earned the KSA and QSA, and I don't have his full sized medals to see which bars were awarded.

Family legend has it that he served under at least 3 different names in SA, probably in Infantry, Artillery and mustering out as either Cav or MI- I'm not sure which. He and his battle buddy then proceeded to prospect across Africa, including him getting bit by a Black Mamba (!) before returning to sea by 1909.
He was born in 1884, got to South Africa by having his parish priest sign his passage as a cabin boy, then jumping ship in SA, one presumes in 1899.

Anyway, I did a bit of a search on here, and came up with two hits for Harrold Collins- one in Menne's Scouts another in Imperial Light Infantry.

flic.kr/p/XAbAN9 (his Obit)

The general questions I have are is there any relatively easy way to work back from his MBE (which I have the Gazette entry for, as well as the full sized medal) to see how he had been awarded the KSA and QSA medals? And what bars had he earned? I know the Navy the Army (I did 20 years in the RCN) floats on a sea of paperwork, so is there any way to worm my way backwards ?

I am well aware that because he "unofficially" changed units at least 2x, it is unlikely that a full record of his service in SA can be constructed. However, given that I presume he updated his information on turning 16 to his legal name and home, there is at least some hope. I know he wore his medals, so I have to presume that he mustered out as Harold Collins.

There is a further story about his KSA and QSA- he was Chief Steward onboard RMS Ordurna during Scout Peace Cruise III, and Lord B-P may have had a conversation about how a man of his age (early 50's, at that point- 1936) was wearing KSA and QSA...I have a couple of Momento's from the cruise.

Using the search on here, it shows a Harold Collins in Menne's Scouts, which would seem entirely possible as a unit that he could have mustered out from. There is a muster roll for Harold Collins in the Imperial Light Infantry, which may be the start of his adventure.

Anyway, thanks for any advice,
James Powell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.440 seconds