Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Seek research advice, Pte. in C. Gar Arty, Midland Mout. Rifls & Driscolls Scts 2 years 8 months ago #77878

• John Mulcahy
  • John Mulcahy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
While conducting genealogical research I recently discovered that my Great, Great Grandfather (Daniel Kilty) served in the Cape Garrison Artillery, The Midland Mounted Rifles and Driscoll's Scouts. Prior to this he had served six years with The Cork RGA ( Militia). He was from Midleton Co. Cork.

Thus far I have managed to get the following,
His militia attestation forms for Cork RGA (M) 1893
The QSA medal rolls for the Cape Garrison Artillery. His rgt number is 1032 and he is noted as having deserted,
The QSA medal roll for the Midland Mounted Rifles. His rgt number is 12 and he is noted as having being issued the QSA with five clasps on 5, Sept. 1904
The QSA Medal roll for Driscoll's Scouts, rgt no 40835. QSA with 5 clasps issued is noted
The nominal roll for Driscoll's Scouts. His rgt number is 40835 and he appears to have joined the unit on Feb. 12 1902 and discharged on June 30 1902 just before the unit was disbanded.
His militia attestation forms for 3 Bn R.M.F. in 1905 where he is noted as having "bullet wounds" to both the right and left arms (not recorded in 1893 and thus presumably acquired in SA) and he has declared previous military service to with Driscoll's Scouts, Midland Mounted Rifles, Cape Garrison Artillery and 'X" Colonial Corps (the first word being undecipherable to me).

I am not very familiar with Anglo Boer War records so would appreciate any advice on how I might find out more about his service.

Things such as, do attestation forms exist for the Cape Garrison Artillery, are there ways of finding out on which ship he may have arrived in the Cape etc?
Does a nominal roll exist for the Midland Mounted Rifles, does the low rgt number suggest he joined the unit on formation (or soon after). Are there any good histories of the unit's service?
What might the "X" Colonial Corps be?

thanks in advance for any help and guidance.

JM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Seek research advice, Pte. in C. Gar Arty, Midland Mout. Rifls & Driscolls Scts 2 years 8 months ago #77896

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hello John
Welcome to the forum.
I have enclosed links to the regiments your GG Grandfather served. The only nominal roll is for Driscoll's Scouts. I hope that fellow forum members can help you with your request.

www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/so...e-garrison-artillery

www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/so...dland-mounted-rifles

www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/so...329-driscolls-scouts

I could only find one Daniel Kilty with reference to sailing on a ship but that was in 1893 to Boston. 14 year old Labourer called Daniel Kilty.
Did your G G Grandfather serve in the RMF during WW1?
There are medal cards and a war badge to a Daniel Kilty 7138 Royal Munster Fusiliers. WW1 trio of medals and a war badge for wounds , badge number 46328. Discharged medically unfit 12th August 1915.
My apologies for not answering all your questions, I found his medal rolls and DS nominal roll.If there are any extra details you can share which may help, please post. There are some excellent contributors on this forum. Hopefully someone can help out.
Best wishes
Dave F

P S. I couldn't find a medal roll for him pertaining to his time in Driscolls Scouts. The only clasp was for 1901 with the Cape Garrison Artillery before deserting. The ref to 5 on the Midland roll doesn't shine any light either. Do you or the family have his QSA?

PPS X Colonial Corps??
For a few months in 1900, a Colonial Division, consisting of the Cape Mounted Riflemen and several volunteer units under Brig Gen Edward Brabant, served with the British forces in the Orange Free State.

In January 1901, after a second Boer incursion, the government formed the Colonial Defence Force (CDF), under Brig Gen Brabant. It consisted of dozens of town guards and district mounted troops, for local defence, and a few mobile units, which were placed under British Army command. In December 1901, the CDF was merged with the Colonial Forces, which were renamed the Cape Colonial Forces (CCF).
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Mulcahy

Seek research advice, Pte. in C. Gar Arty, Midland Mout. Rifls & Driscolls Scts 2 years 8 months ago #77900

• John Mulcahy
  • John Mulcahy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Thank you Dave, I appreciate your response very much.

Daniel Kilty 7138 is a different man to my ancestor. That Daniel Kilty was born in 1895 and is from Mallow I believe.

My ancestor is listed on the Midland Mounted Rifles medal roll, WO 100 259 – 1 p29. It notes medal issued with five clasps and that he was entitled to “SOUTH AFRICA 1901” and “SOUTH AFRICA 1902” it does not indicate what the other three entitlements were.

I have also found him on the Driscoll’s Scouts medal roll, WO 100 245-1 p.70. This is also annotated medal with five clasps issued. This roll notes “ORANGE FREE STATE”, “TRANSVAAL”, SOUTH AFRICA 1901” and ‘SOUTH AFRICA 1902” but no indication of what the fifth clasp is. I assume that it is “CAPE COLONY” as indicated on the CGA roll even though there the record is annotated “NO MEDAL” as he is recorded as having deserted from that corps.

I do not know the whereabouts of the medal. I attach the medal roll details.

You note that you found one Daniel Kilty on a ship to Boston in 1893 where he is recorded as a 14 year old labourer
I do know (from studying the birth records of his children and his Cork RGA attestation papers) that he was in America for some period between Aug 1885 and possibly as late as Oct 1893. His occupation is a labourer. An age of 14 looks wrong but can you give me a reference or tell me where you found the Boston data – it may be him.

John
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

Seek research advice, Pte. in C. Gar Arty, Midland Mout. Rifls & Driscolls Scts 2 years 8 months ago #77904

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Mulcahy

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.751 seconds