Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Albert Edward Jackson, Imperial Light Horse 2 years 9 months ago #77495

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2303
....Trooper Jackson, of the Imperial Light Horse, and whose parents reside in Kettlebrook, was, we understand, killed at the battle of Colenso in December last.
Tamworth Herald, Saturday 17th February 1900

....Corporal A. E. Jackson, Imperial Light Horse in a letter to his parents at Kettlebrook, writes :— Durban, March 17. l am still alive and well and beginning to pull myself round a bit now that I have got a few days' leave after being confined in Ladysmith for over four months, and being starved half the time or else had to eat our allowance of horseflesh, which, of course was not very tasty. I have got through so far without a scratch, except an accident that I had to my knee when my horse threw me. I suppose we are going to start for the front again shortly, when we have got some new equipment and replaced the horses that we have eaten.
Tamworth Herald, Saturday 12th May 1900

OLD BOY OF THE PEEL SCHOOL

Death of Mr. Albert E. Jackson

....Mr. Albert E. Jackson, youngest son of the late Mr. Henry Jackson, of Tamworth, has died suddenly at Randfontein, South Africa, following an operation. He was educated at Sir Robert Peel's School. His first job of work was for the late Mr. Thomas Argyle, Lichfield Street, Tamworth, being later employed by the late Mr. Sydney Fisher, of Amington Hall. Afterwards he enlisted in the King's Royal Rifles. When the Boer War broke out he was a messenger in the Bank of Africa living at Johannesburg, and enlisted in the Imperial Light Horse, serving with them until after the relief of Ladysmith. He came home for a short time, and on returning to Africa he married and settled in Johannesburg. Later he moved to Randfontein to the gold mines, where he passed away on May 17. He is survived by his wife and one daughter, one sister, Mrs. J. Holland, Winnipeg, and two brothers in Tamworth.
Tamworth Herald, Saturday 11th June 1938

Possibly Albert Edward Jackson, born in Tamworth, 3rd quarter of 1871.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Albert Edward Jackson, Imperial Light Horse 2 years 9 months ago #77499

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 950
Berenice I think this is your guy...

Clouston Cemetery, Colenso

Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Albert Edward Jackson, Imperial Light Horse 2 years 9 months ago #77502

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2303

Elmarie wrote: Berenice I think this is your guy...

Clouston Cemetery, Colenso

Looks to me like the initial report in the Tamworth Herald got A. E. and A. R. Jackson confused; that first report referred to the wrong man.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.388 seconds