Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Pte J Eccles 3rd East Lancashire Regiment 2 years 9 months ago #77435

• familyhistory
  • familyhistory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6
I am researching Private J Eccles 3rd ELR who appears on Darwen’s Boer War Memorial as one of those who lost his life.

On Ancestry – Casualties of the Boer War, 1899-1902 - there is only one J Eccles of the East Lancashire Regiment and his death is given as 9 Jun 1901 at Brandfort No 7782 3th ELR. Cross checking for his entry on the Campaign Medal and Award Roll database I am unable to an entry for anyone called Eccles, No 7782. However, there is an entry for 9567 Pte J Eccles 3rd ELR with a note “deceased 9 Jun 1901 Enteric fever Brandfort.”

I found a report of his death in a local newspaper which gives his names as Joseph Eccles No 8771 3rd ELR died at Brandfort of Enteric Fever.

I understand that the number mentioned in the newspaper report is almost certain an error but I cannot understand why the two databases on Ancestry have different numbers. Would you agree that the 9567 is the correct one?

Tony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pte J Eccles 3rd East Lancashire Regiment 2 years 9 months ago #77436

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4531
Tony,

This is quite confusing.

9567 J Eccles is shown on the supplementary roll as invalided 25 July 1900 and deceased on the QSA roll 9 June 1901.

Also on the QSA roll for the 4rd ELR are:

8860 J T Eccles
7789 J Eccles

No notes for either.

7782 3rd ELR is Pte J Smith.

I cannot find an 8771 3rd ELR.

No service papers for 9567 Eccles to confirm so, yes, I would agree with you on 9567, using the medal rolls as being the more likely to be correct of the three. Newspapers and the casualty rolls are well known for their inaccuracies.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Pte J Eccles 3rd East Lancashire Regiment 2 years 9 months ago #77437

• familyhistory
David

I am pleased the you also find it confusing. Sine my first message I searched the online newspapers and found that 8771 was for 3rd East Lancashire Regiment, Private W. J. Clough died from enteric.

Regards, Tony

Pte J Eccles 3rd East Lancashire Regiment 2 years 9 months ago #77441

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Found in Find My Past...... Thought this might be of some help.... Mike

First Name J
Last name Eccles
Service number 7782
Rank Private
Regiment 3 Battalion The East Lancashire Regiment
Rolls WO100/184 page 469
Year 1899-1902
Biography -

Memorials St Peter's Church. Plaque. East Lancashire Rgt, Burnley, Lancashire, England

Event detail Died Enteric on 09/06/1901 at Brandfort

Event unit 3 Battalion The East Lancashire Regiment

Gazetteer [2826: 2842-2628] a town and district in the Orange Free State (Brandfort district; Free State); 60 km north of Bloemfontein. The district furnished a commando for the Boer forces (Cmdt A.J. Bester). After the fall of Bloemfontein (2)* in March 1900, the area was covered by some 3,000 burghers under the command of Asst Cmdt-Gen J.H. de la Rey who had his headquarters in the town. After token resistance, the town was taken by the central column of the British army advancing northwards on 3 May 1900. A white concentration refugee camp was established there in March 1901 and by August it held 3,404 people, most of whom were women and children. HMG III pp.42-43 (map no.38), IV p.668; Times IV pp.18, 28 and 102-103 (map of the Orange Free State in the front pocket); Breytenbach V pp.320-325 (map facing p.482).
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Pte J Eccles 3rd East Lancashire Regiment 2 years 9 months ago #77470

• familyhistory
I think I have found the reason for the confusion with Joseph Eccles’s regimental numbers.

He attested on 24 Jun 1897 and joined 3rd (Militia) Bn East Lancashire Regiment (no 7788). His record is on Findmypast and the records that he was “present training” on 1898. I believe the Regimental number 7782 on casualty rolls is a transcription error. Although his record does not record any other events until it states his death. When he served in South Africa he was allocated a new number - 9567.

Tony

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.437 seconds