Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Trooper Lightbown: Barbant’s Horse 2 years 9 months ago #77180

• familyhistory
  • familyhistory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi,
I need help in locating Trooper Lightbown of the Barbant’s Horse. The only information I have are letters he wrote home and appeared in a local newspaper.

The microfilmed copy of the paper is not very clear I need help in locating was appears like Fen Hook, near Molteno.

Regards, Tony

Darwen Gazette 5 Jan 1900

Trooper Lightbown, a well-known Darwen name, whose relatives also reside in the peaceful valley. He is with Barbant’s Horse, which is with Gatacre’s army at Strerkstroom

Trooper Lightbown writes to his uncle and aunt. His letter is dated from Fen Hook, near Molteno, where some fighting had been going on this week. He says: -

“Just a hurried line to say I am well and happy, having glorious and exciting fun with the Boers. Had two battles and glorious sport it was. I can’t tell you all just now as I am writing in a hurry; will give you all the news when I come home in May.”

A Women Spy Caught

On the same date Trooper Lightbown wrote to his mother in the same cheery spirit. He adds: -

“We keep having little skirmishes with the Boers, but nothing has happened as yet. We caught yesterday a woman spy. She was dressed as a man, and riding just the same. This is a splendid country, only a little hot, but not so bad as Egypt, and I am getting good food, and the Dutch farmers give us plenty of milk to drink as we go along. They are very frightened of us and give us what we ask.

Expecting Severe Fighting

In a further letter dated Strerkstroom, November 28th, Trooper Lightbown writes: -

“We had a brush with the enemy yesterday afternoon. Glorious fun. My horse got a gunshot graze, but nothing to speak. Expect severe fighting every day. The Boers are a cowardly lot. Good luck to them, all the better for us.”

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Trooper Lightbown: Barbant’s Horse 2 years 9 months ago #77183

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Could be Stenhoek?

Battle of Stormberg

Gatacre moved his force twenty-five miles up the railway line from Queenstown to Putters Kraal, with outposts further up the line at Sterkstroom and in the countryside at Bushman’s Hoek and Stenhoek.

The distances were: Queenstown to Putter’s Kraal-25 miles, Putter’s Kraal to Sterkstroom-3 miles, Sterkstroom to Molteno-16 miles and Molteno to Stormberg-10 miles. At Sterkstroom a branch railway line headed east to Dordrecht and on to Indwe.

PS. is the surname Lightbown correct? I couldn't find him on the nominal roll 1st or 2nd battalion Brabant's Horse. Closest was a Captain Lieght.
I also checked Rimington's Guides, no Lightbown.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Trooper Lightbown: Barbant’s Horse 2 years 9 months ago #77185

• familyhistory
Dave. Thanks for the information and Lightbown is correct. It’s very clear in the newspaper report
Tony

Trooper Lightbown: Barbant’s Horse 2 years 9 months ago #77219

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Tony,

Could this be Penhoek, west of Molteno

Source: Imperial map of South Africa compiled by John Wood, April 1900
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

Trooper Lightbown: Barbant’s Horse 2 years 9 months ago #77220

• familyhistory
David
Many thanks for your reply and the map
Tony

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.486 seconds