Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

WAR JOURNAL of 1/c Trooper Nelson E. M. Henry (E1978 - 18 Troop) 2 years 11 months ago #75921

• BCPete
  • BCPete's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
I am pleased to share a transcribed copy of my grandfather Nelson's war journal. Though he would have left Canada in March 1901 with the SAC after recruitment most likely in Brandon Manitoba (closest recruitment center to his known residence in Souris Manitoba) and we have record of him leaving South Africa in April 1904, his journal only ranges from Oct. 1901 to Sept. 1902.

His original journal was in extremely poor condition, and my cousin who has it carefully read it and transcribed it into a Word document and used a script font to make it appear as much as the original, then made the attached PDF from that document.

I also used the transcribed word document in a simple font to have an easier to read copy, which I annotated. Taking note of locations on a map, and trying to match people to referenced to people listed on this website or in the book "No Colours, No Drums" by Jim Wallace.

Though mostly filled with limited details, there are several entries that provide a brief glimpse into the operations of the SAC during this time from one of the men that served.

I will add a post with the annotated map, as it was too large to add in this one.

This message has attachments files.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, Dave F

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

WAR JOURNAL of 1/c Trooper Nelson E. M. Henry (E1978 - 18 Troop) 2 years 11 months ago #75922

• BCPete
Annotated journal map.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

WAR JOURNAL of 1/c Trooper Nelson E. M. Henry (E1978 - 18 Troop) 2 years 11 months ago #75923

• BCPete

Courtesy of Glenbow Archives, Archives and Special Collections, University of Calgary.
Digital Identifier: NA-5107-49
Title: Members of South African Constabulary, South Africa.
Date: [ca. 1901-1902]
Description: L-R: Jess Wells; M. Henery; Alfred Wells.

Nelson described as "M. Henery" but it is definitely Nelson. I believe this photo was taken on May 4, 1902 as detailed in his journal entry:

Journal Entry: May 10 Patrol left today 18 & 27 Troops Alf, Jess & I photos taken today.

Alf & Jess are mentioned in Nelson's diary several times, both together in the above entry and at other times individually. (I believe Nelson, Alf & Jess were friends. According to Ancestry.ca research Alf & Jess are brothers from Brandon, Manitoba. I believe they would have all enlisted in Brandon Manitoba as the Wells' were from Brandon and Brandon was the closest recruitment location to Nelson's place of residence around that time in Souris Manitoba, plus they all have very close service #'s Jess E1949, Nelson E1978, Alf E2026. I am also guessing that Alf & Jess were not brothers by birth as Alf looks Caucasian and Jess looks Native like my grandfather Nelson.

Research references:
Page 357 - No Colour, No Drums Wells Alfred Edward 3/cTpr E2026
Search under SAC Units from this website: Wells A E Source: QSA and KSA medal rolls
Page 357 - No Colour, No Drums Wells Jesse Joseph 2/cTpr E1949}
Search under SAC Units from this website: Wells J J Source: QSA and KSA medal rolls
Attachments:

WAR JOURNAL of 1/c Trooper Nelson E. M. Henry (E1978 - 18 Troop) 2 years 11 months ago #75930

• BCPete

Courtesy of Glenbow Archives, Archives and Special Collections, University of Calgary.

Digital Identifier: NA-5107-102
Title: Member of South African Constabulary pouring a drink under duress.
Date: [ca. 1901-1902]
Description: Posed photograph. N. Henry, left, and G. Moir holding pistol.

G. Moir is most likely George Moir.
No Colours, No Drums Pg. 345 Moir George Glendening 2/cTpr E1947

I think this may be a picture Nelson referred to in his war journal.

Journal Entry: May 5, 1902 The same column above came back again going west to (Blomhoff) Bloemhof [11] 18 Troop SAC was out for patrol today. Photo of myself taken today.
Attachments:

WAR JOURNAL of 1/c Trooper Nelson E. M. Henry (E1978 - 18 Troop) 2 years 11 months ago #75932

• BCPete

Digital Identifier: NA-5107-68
Title: 18th troop, South African Constabulary string band.
Date: 1902
Description L-R: F. Manners; N. Henry; G. Moir; F. Higgins. Holding musical instruments. Dressed in uniform.

I can confirm from my sister that Nelson did indeed play the fiddle.

Other members in the picture, I believe are as follows, based on the book "No Colours, No Drums"
F. Manner Pg. 341 Manners William John 3/cTpr E1998 (I believe they got his initial wrong in the picture listing).
N. Henry = Nelson
G. Moir Pg. 345 Moir George Glendening 2/cTpr E1947 (Same man as in the previous picture with Nelson above)
F. Higgins Pg. 335 Higgins Frederick Ernest 3/cTpr E1980
Attachments:

WAR JOURNAL of 1/c Trooper Nelson E. M. Henry (E1978 - 18 Troop) 2 years 11 months ago #75963

• BCPete

Digital Identifier: NA-5107-28
Title: Number 18 troop, South African Constabulary, Martins Rust.
Date: [ca. 1899-1902]
Modification: Image is cropped from original to give closer view of the men.

Nelson is the 2nd from the right by the front of the wagon.
Others I can identify based on previously posted pictures:
Alf Wells is kneeling in the 2nd row 6th from the left. (In 3 man photo with Nelson and Jess previously).
Jess Wells is standing in the 3rd row 8th from the left. (2 to the left and one row back from Alf).
Fred Higgins is sitting in the 1st row 4th from the right. (Also in band picture with Nelson).

Research references:
Page 357 - No Colour, No Drums Wells Alfred Edward 3/cTpr E2026
Search under SAC Units from this website: Wells A E Source: QSA and KSA medal rolls
Page 357 - No Colour, No Drums Wells Jesse Joseph 2/cTpr E1949}
Search under SAC Units from this website: Wells J J Source: QSA and KSA medal rolls
Page 335 - No Colour, No Drums Higgins Fredrick Ernest 3/cTpr E1980}
Search under SAC Units from this website: Higgins F E Source: QSA and KSA medal rolls
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.666 seconds