Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Private Frederick J. Bertie, 1st V.B. Black Watch, died 20.11.1929 3 years 3 weeks ago #75191

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
DUNDEE MAN'S DEATH IN CANADA

Member of Old Volunteers

....One of the Dundee volunteers for active service in the South African War in 1899, upon whom the freedom of the city was conferred on January 18, 1900, has met his death by accident in Saseenos, British Columbia.
....He is Mr Frederick James Bertie, son of the late Mr and Mrs James Bertie, one time residing at 18 Bellfield Lane, Dundee.
....Writing to Mr Bertie's relatives in Dundee, a friend says that he was killed on the 20th November while working on a power line 20 miles out of Victoria. He came into contact with a live wire, and died instantly. No one knows how the accident occurred.
....Mr Bertie, after serving in the Boer War returned home, and then left for America. For some 20 years all trace of him was lost, but quite recently his movements were discovered.
....He served his apprenticeship in Dundee as a cabinetmaker with Methven, Hyslop, & Co., Ltd., Nethergate.
....The freedom of the city of Dundee was conferred on Mr Bertie "in recognition of his patriotism in volunteering for active service in the South African War as one of the 1st (City of Dundee) Volunteer Battalion The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) . . ." The burgess ticket is signed by Lord Provost William Hunter and Mr Thomas Thornton, town clerk.
....The funeral took place to the Royal Oak Burial Park, Victoria, and the service was conducted by a Presbyterian minister, Rev. J. S. Patterson.
....Among those present at the graveside were members of the Veterans of France.
....Mr Bertie was unmarried.
Dundee Evening Telegraph, Tuesday 14th January 1930
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Private Frederick J. Bertie, 1st V.B. Black Watch, died 20.11.1929 3 years 3 weeks ago #75192

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
Private Frederick Bertie
Regimental number 7557 1st Volunteer Service Company Black Watch
1st VSC 17th February 1900 comprising of 3 officers and 114 men embarked aboard SS Gascon for South Africa.
Private Bertie's medal rolls entitle him to a QSA with the following clasps.
Wittebergen,Cape Colony, Orange Free State, & Transvaal. I found 3 rolls and I think he has the 2 date clasps for his QSA also.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, BereniceUK

Private Frederick J. Bertie, 1st V.B. Black Watch, died 20.11.1929 3 years 3 weeks ago #75198

• BereniceUK
I wonder if he took his medal to America or left it with his family in Dundee.

Private Frederick J. Bertie, 1st V.B. Black Watch, died 20.11.1929 3 years 3 weeks ago #75199

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
A good question Berenice
He was 23 when he left Glasgow on 21st March 1902. He sailed on the ship Sardinia and his destination was Halifax Canada, then on to Toronto. The outward passenger list has his occupation as a cabinet maker.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Private Frederick J. Bertie, 1st V.B. Black Watch, died 20.11.1929 3 years 3 weeks ago #75200

• BereniceUK
I guess QSAs would have been dished out by 1902, even to Volunteer Battalions.

Does his hat signify that he was Mounted Infantry? No markings on the tunic that I can see.

Private Frederick J. Bertie, 1st V.B. Black Watch, died 20.11.1929 3 years 3 weeks ago #75202

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Interesting Berenice......

When I was posted to H.M.C.S. (C.F.B.) Esquimalt with the R.C.N.I used to live in Saseenos, B.C. just on Sooke Road.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.969 seconds