Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Trooper F Mason -nr 1524 - Johannesburg Mounted Rifles 3 years 6 months ago #72359

• Durbanboytjie
  • Durbanboytjie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am trying to find out any information about my great grandfather who was part of the Johannesburg Mounted Rifles in the Anglo Boer War.
The family have always said he was captured by the boers and had his heels cut off while he was captured to ensure he would not escape.
Is there somewhere I can find out if there is any truth to this or if it is a complete fabrication.
He is in the Johannesburg Mounted Rifles roll Call register - it says Clause D next to his name. If anyone could tell me what Clause D means it would solve a great mystery. He seems to have been in the army for about 6 months and then stayed in South Africa the rest of his life.

Jonathan Mason

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Trooper F Mason -nr 1524 - Johannesburg Mounted Rifles 3 years 6 months ago #72360

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Jonathan
On the JMR roll page 31 (clasp "Transvaal") he is also shown as serving in the Midland Mounted Rifles, regimental number 100. The Palmer casualty roll does not show an entry for any F.Mason in either JMR or MMR.
The JMR nominal roll shows occasional men with "Clause D" next to their name. I don't know what it means - but suspect it indicates subsequent service in another unit. I would be pleased to find out what "Clause D" indicates.
Regards
IL.

Trooper F Mason -nr 1524 - Johannesburg Mounted Rifles 3 years 6 months ago #72372

• Durbanboytjie
  • Durbanboytjie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Great thank you - I have more documents.
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.418 seconds