Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Private Charley Webber, of Barnstaple - Devonshire Regiment, invalided home 3 years 10 months ago #69501

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2304
Has anyone come across the term " "Absent-Minded Beggar" crutches" before?

MAIMED BARNSTAPLE SOLDIER HOME FROM THE FRONT.
…...There arrived home from South Africa on Thursday Private C. Webber, of the 1st Devons, and son of Mr. Webber, Lock's Court, Barnstaple. Webber (unmarried) is only twenty-two years of age, and his case is a very sad one. He joined the Army three years ago, and reaching Ladysmith from India on 6th October last, he was therefore among the besieged. In the battles of Elands Laagte, Tintunyani, and Lombard's Kop he had many miraculous escapes, numerous shells having burst in close proximity to him at different times. On one occasion he was beside a sleeping companion (Private Brockett) when a shell burst, Brockett being killed on the spot. Webber's last engagement, and a most unfortunate one for him, was the famous bayonet charge at Wagon Hill. The Devons were finally repulsing the Boers on that memorable day, and at a distance of 500 yards from the trenches Webber (one of the number) received a flesh wound in one leg, but he continued to within five yards of the goal, when an explosive bullet struck him in his left knee, shattering the leg. Completely disabled, he remained where he fell for six hours, being picked up by the ambulance corps at 2.30 the following morning. The experience was an awful one, Webber and many others being trod on by opposing Britons and Boers in the desperate struggle for supremacy. Everything possible was done to save Webber's leg, but at the end of six weeks it was found absolutely necessary to amputate it. Webber speaks in terms of the highest praise of Sir George White's kindness to soldiers of every rank, whilst he regards General Buller as an ideal general. He says the real Boer is for the most part a brave and honourable foe, and that it is mainly the riff-raff of other countries (particularly Germans), whom he condemns in specially severe terms, who have disgraced the Boer army by their cowardice and brutality. Moving about on a pair of "Absent-Minded Beggar" crutches, Private Webber is on leave until September 25th, when he will return for the purpose of being provided with an artificial leg, and in order to see what a grateful country will do for one of her soldiers "broke in war."

The North Devon Journal, Thursday 2nd August 1900

THE WAR OFFICE AND DISABLED SOLDIERS.
SHABBY TREATMENT OF A BARUMITE.
…...Last week we gave some particulars of the shabby treatment meted out to Private Charles Webber, of Barnstaple, who was in the famous Wagon Hill charge of the Devons at Ladysmith, losing a leg in consequence of a wound from an explosive bullet, and we are pleased to be able to report now that Webber's case has been brought before the War Office and that the crippled hero is receiving assistance from a local fund. The following letter from Sir John Kennaway, Bart., M.P., appeared in the Exeter Gazette on Friday:
…...Sir, - The statements in your paper of Monday last, in regard to Private C. Webber, of the Devons, seemed to me to be so serious that I felt it my duty to at once lay them before the Secretary of State for War.
…...I am glad to be able to state on his authority that, so far from being discharged without means, Private Webber was sent away with £9 15s. 8d., which was presumably sufficient to maintain him for three weeks.
…...As to his pension, I am informed that the Commissioners at Chelsea Hospital fixed it provisionally at 1s. 6d. a day on the medical evidence of last July, from which it was assumed that Webber was capable of very light work. …...Further medical evidence was taken on the 12th inst., which will influence the Commissioners in their consideration of what his permanent pension will be.
…...The pension of 1s. 6d. was not, I am told, awarded for twelve months only, but as a conditional pension, to be reconsidered at the end of twelve months after further medical examination. I am glad to be able to put these facts forward without delay.
…...I remain, yours faithfully.
………...JOHN H. KENNAWAY.
……………...Escot, October 18th, 1900.

…...Interviewed in regard to this letter, Private Webber said he was afraid the idea may be entertained that this £9 odd was a gift to him. He wishes to state that it was only a portion of what was actually due to him as soldier's pay on active service. In September of last year he was serving in India with his regiment. He was settled up with to the end of that month, some time before he left for South Africa. He arrived at Durban on the 5th of October, 1899, and from the time of his being paid in India in September up to his receiving the £9 15s. 8d. when he was discharged from Woolwich Hospital on July 25th, he had only received pay amounting to 25s., namely, in October last year 12s., in November 7s., and December 6s. His pay on active service, which dates from October last year to September 24th, is at the rate of 1s. 4d. a day. Six weeks ago, he received a further sum of £7, so that the £9 15s. 8d. "which was presumably sufficient to maintain him for three weeks," had to maintain him for six weeks. Before he left the hospital in July to come to Barnstaple, he had to purchase a suit of private clothes, which cost him £2 15s. 6d. He was allowed the sum of 5s. in lieu of clothes! Since being at Barnstaple he has found it necessary to provide himself with a second suit of clothes. Nearly £6 of the £9 odd have therefore been expended in clothing himself, and but for the timely arrival of the further sum of £7, back pay, he would long ago have been penniless. His pension commenced on the 27th of September. This first payment was made to him on Friday, the 12th inst., at the rate of 1s. 6d. per day. That means 10s. 6d. a week. He pays 10s. a week for his board and lodging. It will be seen how necessary it is that he should at once receive the fullest pension he is entitled to.
…...The case came before the Barnstaple War Fund Committee on Saturday. The Mayor (Mr. J. G. Hamling) presided. The Committee decided to contribute to Webber's relief the sum of 4s. 6d. a week, being a total allowance of £15, for six months, at the end of which time he will again come before the Committee and report himself. Webber is under medical treatment, as the leg has not properly healed, and this was the reason for the Committee's grant. The doctor reported that probably the leg would not be well for six months. The Rev. Dr. Newton, Vicar of Barnstaple, has received the sum of £5 from Lieut.-General Pearson for Webber.

North Devon Journal, Thursday 25th October 1900

…...There was a Salvation Army funeral at Barnstaple on Saturday last, when the remains of Mrs. Bessie Webber, of Cyprus-terrace, were interred in the Cemetery. Numerous members of the Army were present, each wearing a white band round the arm. The ceremony was performed by Ensign Pearson, assisted by Captain Vilven, and the Band (under Mr. F. C. Shambrook) was in attendance. The deceased's husband, an ex-private of the Devonshire Regiment, took part in the early stages of the Boer War. He was in the famous bayonet charge of the Devons at Wagon Hill, where he lost one of his legs. He was invalided home, and is now in receipt of a pension.

North Devon Journal, Thursday 20th March 1902
________

…...The death of Bessie Emma Webber, aged 21, is recorded.
The following user(s) said Thank You: English Alf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Private Charles Webber, of Barnstaple - Devonshire Regiment, invalided home 3 years 10 months ago #69502

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Berenice
Palmer tells us it was "4866 Pte. C.Webber" of 1st Devons who was wounded at Ladysmith on 6/1/00. So much of a story covered by the term "wounded". No, I have never heard of Absent-Minded Beggar" crutches and they must have been purchased from the fund. The AMB fund must have been used for all sorts of comforts and the like.
Best regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Private Charley Webber, of Barnstaple - Devonshire Regiment, invalided home 3 years 10 months ago #69504

• BereniceUK
Simple explanation of the crutches which never occurred to me. Thanks, IL.

I can add to my first post: -

He was born on either 10th February 1878 (birth registered as Charley) or 15th March 1878, at Merton, Devon (as Charlie) - son of John Webber and Mary Smale.

Charles married Bessie Emma Jago at Barnstaple, in the first quarter of 1901.

His second marriage was to Elizabeth Ann Wooldridge/Woodridge/Woolridge (spelling changes from marriage and birth of two sons) in Exeter, first quarter of 1905. They had two children - William Frederick Charles born circa1907 and Herbert John, born circa 1910.

He died in Exeter, the second quarter of 1940, too early to have been a casualty in the Exeter Blitz..
(The above info courtesy of researchers on RootsChat)

Private Charles Webber, of Barnstaple - Devonshire Regiment, invalided home 3 years 10 months ago #69608

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 246
An interesting albeit, like many I've researched, a very sad case.

Charles Webber's service papers haven't survived but the PIN 71 files at the NA include a Charles Webber who enlisted in 1897 and died in 1940 which make it odds on that's him. These files often contain well over 100 pages of information on men invalided to pension.

The 1911 census shows him aged 33 living with his wife and two children at the Soldiers' Home, Whipton, Heavitree, Exeter. His occupation was labour master at a boy's reformatory and army pensioner.

David
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK, English Alf

Private Charley Webber, of Barnstaple - Devonshire Regiment, invalided home 3 years 10 months ago #69613

• BereniceUK
Thanks, David, I'll contact Heavitree Local History Society, and see if I can find out anything about the Soldiers' Home. I've searched the burial records for Exeter's three cemeteries, and cannot find him - Higher Cemetery is in Heavitree and is Exeter's largest burial place. Possibly he was buried back at Barnstaple, as his father may have been buried there. I need to get his death certificate for the exact date of death.

davidh wrote: The 1911 census shows him aged 33 living with his wife and two children at the Soldiers' Home, Whipton, Heavitree, Exeter. His occupation was labour master at a boy's reformatory and army pensioner.

Possibly the Devon and Exeter Reformatory Farm School for Boys, at Beacon Lane, not far from Whipton.
www.childrenshomes.org.uk/ExeterBoysRfy/ (second map down)

www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Beacon+Ln,+E...7349786!4d-3.4997109

Private Charles Webber, of Barnstaple - Devonshire Regiment, invalided home 1 year 5 months ago #86979

• English Alf
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
I was amazed to have stumbled on this thread, as Charley Webber was one of my mother's uncles!

I regret however it is a case of this Forum having been a source that has supplied me with info about my great uncle, rather than me being about to add a load of extra details. I have next to no information about him that has not already been covered.
My mother’s father William Alfred Webber was one of Charley’s brothers. But my mother, who died several years ago, seems to have had very little contact with her relatives, and when I started working on my family tree in the 1980s I discovered that she knew next to nothing about them; I was born in 1960 after many of them, including my grandfather, had already died. I have therefore had to piece details about the family together over time using census records and birth marriage and death registrations etc.

The best I can offer is this:
Charley’s father was John Webber baptised Winkleigh, Devon 12th November 1846 (birth marked as illegitimate). My mother did not know when he died but thought it was about 1930.
Charley’s mother was Mary Smale Born: 30th July 1850 at Dunsbeare Cottage, Merton, Devon. Died: Merton, Devon on 12th August 1879 (died in childbirth giving birth to daughter Mary Ann, see below.)

Charley was one of 8 children:
1- Isaac Webber born Merton, 1869. Possibly died Barnstaple 1939.
2- William Alfred Webber (my grandfather) born Merton 20th June 1871 died Exmouth 24th March 1956
3- Edwin Webber born Merton 1873. Died 1924.
4- Willoughby/Willaby Webber born Merton 1874 ,died Barnstaple 1959
5- Thomas Webber born Merton 1875, date of death unknown.
6- Levi Webber born Merton 1877. Died Barnstaple 1944.
7- Charley Webber born 1878 died 1940
8- Mary Ann Webber born Merton 1879, date of death unknown.

However, as far as the Forum, and this thread, is concerned it is possibly most interesting to add that my grandfather William Webber was a regular, and also served in the 2nd Boer War. I think it will be simplest to include most of his Army record:

William Webber enlisted at Devonport in 1892 and joined the Bedfordshire Regiment (having previously served in the 4th Devonshires, a part-time Militia battalion)
While with the 1st Bedfords he served in the UK 15/12/1892 to 26/09/1894.
Then from 27/09/1894 to 10/02/1902 he served in India, taking part in the Relief of Chitral in 1895 and receiving the India Medal with Chitral clasp.

He transferred to 2nd Bedfords and from 10/02/1902 to 19/01/1903 he was in South Africa (Boer War rolls show he was in a draft from India of 2nd Bedfords with actual arrival date in South Africa 26/2/1902)
Had been promoted to sergeant by 1902 as his South Africa Medal from 1902 is engraved as “Sergeant Webber”. (Medal with three clasp for South Africa 1902, Transvaal and Orange Free State)

He stayed in the 2nd Bedfords until 1913 with spells of garrison duty in Gibraltar, Bermuda and South Africa. He left the army in December 1913 with the rank of Sergeant (One of my uncles who was alive at the time says he was a Company Sergeant Major).
He re-joined the army on the outbreak of WW1, joining the Bedford Yeomanry with the with the rank of private and was promoted Sergeant the same day and posted to Colchester as an instructor. He did not go to the Front, but did spend time in France as a sergeant with assorted Labour Battalions etc.
His rank went Sergeant > S.S.M. > C.S.M.
These are the WW1 dates in his army record:
14/9/1914 to 30/9/1915 UK
1/10/1915 to 6/7/1916 France
7/7/1916 to 2/4/1918 UK
3/4/18 to 14/6/1918 France
15/6/1918 to 1/11/1918 UK
2/11/1918 to 17/6/1919 France
18/6/1919 to 16/7/1919 UK
He finally left the Army in 1919 and moved to a village north of Barnstaple where my mother would be born.
Attached is a photo of William Alfred Webber's medals.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.473 seconds