Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Private Charles Webber, of Barnstaple - Devonshire Regiment, invalided home 1 year 5 months ago #86988

• English Alf
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
I have no idea where he'd be buried. His brother (my grandfather) died in Exmouth, but was buried in Merton, Devon where he had been born, and in the same grave as his mother.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Private Charley Webber, of Barnstaple - Devonshire Regiment, invalided home 1 year 5 months ago #86989

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2307
Hello, Alf, and thank you very much for the additional family info, and for William's army service.

Is it known when Charley's second wife, Elizabeth Ann, died, and where she's buried? It's possible they're in the same grave.

Private Charley Webber, of Barnstaple - Devonshire Regiment, invalided home 1 year 5 months ago #86996

• English Alf
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I also wondered if they could be buried in the same grave, or same cemetery, and spent a while yesterday evening searching for possible graves for Elizabeth Ann Webber, as well as for graves of their sons and daughters-in-law. Nothing found as yet!
Odd that Charley was not buried at Higher Cemetery given he died in a street next door to it.

Private Charley Webber, of Barnstaple - Devonshire Regiment, invalided home 1 year 5 months ago #87003

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2307
If he happened to be buried in a pauper's grave, would it have been recorded? Headstones on paupers' graves that I see in cemeteries and churchyards tend to be numbered or initialled, and the records kept, I think, in a ledger, but I've never seen any digitised records of paupers' graves.

Private Charley Webber, of Barnstaple - Devonshire Regiment, invalided home 1 year 5 months ago #87004

• English Alf
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
While a poor person would not be able to pay for a plot or a gravestone, the burial records would as far as I know still include the record of the burial of a pauper.
I also wonder if the Devonshire regiment might have been involved?
Perhaps there is even a funeral notice in a local paper for April or May 1940 (his date of death = 26th April 1940).

Private Charley Webber, of Barnstaple - Devonshire Regiment, invalided home 1 year 5 months ago #87010

• sepsop
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 4
If memory serves me well, his medal was on a very well known auction website a few years ago, just the disc and very battered.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.431 seconds