• Page:

TOPIC:

William Henry Webb 3 years 11 months ago #69254

• G K Pullar
  • G K Pullar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I have been trying to find out any information / photo etc about my mother in laws grandfather, William Henry Webb. Just a quick run down on a very complex gentleman. He was born 04/08/1879 in Johannesburg S.A. His parents were John Henry Webb and Elizabeth Wilkinson, address Tobacco St, Fordsburg, Johannesburg S.A. In his WW1 details for the Australian army he lists his previous service records as Warwickshire Bn, conductor of transport S.A. W ?, 9 months, Western Rifles S.A, 9 months, Kaffrarian Rifles ,east London, 9 months. Queens town Volunteers ,east London , 5 months. At some stage after the Boer War he heads to New Zealand were he wedds Jane Carrson. They have a child, Annie Isabella born December 1903. The marriage dissolved about 1906 and what happened to him after that is a bit of a mystery, maybe he stayed in NZ for a few years ? but he ends up in Australia at some stage and enlist with the Australian Army for WW1. His army records are 115 pages of confusion. He is a very complex person with being discharged for health reasons then re-enlisting again so his army numbers are 873 then 1103 then 1752, he is promoted and demoted a number of times. Very confusing. Sadly he is killed in a pub brawl on the 13th of January 1920, Aged 41 at the Royal Hotel, corner of Hunter and Darby Streets, Newcastle.,New South Wales Australia by anArthur Finnie. Trove Newspapers Australia have the full story of the murder and trial etc which is interesting reading. He is buried in an unmarked grave at Sandgate Cemetery, Newcastle, New South Wales Australia. A Wooden cross was erected by the "The Returned and Services League Australia" 19.4.2015. So my mother in law and her mother never meet or have no memory of there father / grandfather and have never seen a photo of him. Maybe some members might have some ideas as i have pretty much tried all Archives etc in Australia including Army and Police for firstly and image of this man and also any information . My mother inlaw is approaching 90 so time is running out. If any one has any ideas they would be much appreciated. Cheers Greg Pullar Timaru New Zealand.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

William Henry Webb 3 years 11 months ago #69255

• G K Pullar
  • G K Pullar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Just a bit more info ive just remembered, Among the property found on Webb was a returned soldier's medal, Number 40732 and a military discharge in the name of Private W. H. Webb, No:1762, 5 th Battalion. I wonder if there is any way of working out what the Medal was based on the number, Cheers Greg.

William Henry Webb 3 years 11 months ago #69256

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
Greg
Welcome to the Forum. A complex Webb as you say. I can't offer any photo, unfortunately. However, I did have a quick look on the nominal rolls of the South African units you mentioned. In the Kaffrarian Rifles roll there is one "1233 Tpr. W.H.Webb" who was discharged 20/6/00. In the Queenstown Vols roll there is one "465 Tpr. W.H.Webb" who was discharged 31/3/00. I could not find anything in those of the Western Light Horse or the WPMR. As far as claimed service with the Warwickshire Regt as "conductor of transport", you may have to start searching under locally recruited men for the Army Service Corps.
As far as the returned soldiers medal (badge??) you mention, it could be for an AIF WW1 unit. Have you checked with the AWM website?
Otherwise, a check with the various on-line commercial sites could be of assistance.
Regards
IL.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.326 seconds