• Page:

TOPIC:

RQMS Frederick J Head 3 years 11 months ago #69209

• Bates
  • Bates's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello: I am searching for information on the subject soldier, he had to forfeit his medals in 1903 due to a General Court Martial. How would I find the circumstances and results of this GCM and afterwards. Also curious if he could or did enlist in WW 1. thank you Jack Bates
Following troops from Victoria, BC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

RQMS Frederick J Head 3 years 11 months ago #69215

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Morning Jack.....

When you check FMP there are a very large number of F. J. Head's..... Do you know his date of birth or his wife's name?????

I am not sure but was told once that a large number of the GCM from Crimea to WW! were destroyed in the Blitz...….

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

RQMS Frederick J Head 3 years 11 months ago #69218

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 245
Hello Jack

As QSAMIKE indicates it's highly unlikely that details of his court martial still exist. However, his service papers and record transcription are on Findmypast. These and the medal roll don't give any details of the GCM but between them confirm:

2162 RQMS Frederick J. Head 7th (Leicestershire) Company, 14th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry was entitled to a QSA with clasps Cape Colony & Wittebergen but, as you say, it was forfeited following a GCM while a lieutenant and quartermaster 23/1/1903. He had been commissioned 12/10/1901. His papers show an additional entitlement of a South Africa 1901 clasp which isn't shown on the medal roll.

Regards

David

Edit: He was 34 years and 9 months old when he enlisted in January 1900. That would have made him 49 in August 1914. There is, however, a Medal Index Card for a Frederick J. Head showing him as a corporal in the East Kents (6302) and Royal Fusilers (GS/71985) entitled to a 1914-15 Trio. He may or may not be your man but he would have been pretty old for active service overseas by July 1915 when he would have been 50.

RQMS Frederick J Head 3 years 11 months ago #69219

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Jack - David...…
Damn no wonder I could not find him I spelt Frederick wrong..... Glad you did better David.....
Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

RQMS Frederick J Head 3 years 11 months ago #69223

• Bates
  • Bates's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Wonderful response thank you both..2162 is the man, and will pursue him further as you suggest. My next quest will be on a Gordon Highlander with both Q and K's medals, which I acquired......regards jack
Following troops from Victoria, BC.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.109 seconds