Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Searching for William Murphy, 2nd Battalion Border Regiment circa 1905-6 3 years 10 months ago #69139

• foggo1
  • foggo1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am researching my family tree and have a baptism certificate for my Great Grandmother who was baptised in the Garrison Church at Potchefstroom, South Africa in February 1906. Her father is listed as William Murphy of the 2nd Battalion Border Regiment, residing in the Married Cantonments (? - this might be a bad translation). I assumed that this meant that William served in South Africa during this period, however when I search for his name in the Border Regiment on this website, there are no Murphy's listed at all. Am I missing something? Could anyone point me in the right direction for how I might find him. I believe his DOB could be 6th November 1875, and he married someone called Sarah Jane, maybe born 9th May 1867. Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Searching for William Murphy, 2nd Battalion Border Regiment circa 1905-6 3 years 10 months ago #69144

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Foggo,

My list of Border men is incomplete which might explain that.

In the 1st Border Regiment is 4338 Pte W P Murphy. He served in the relief of Ladysmith.

He is the only W Murphy in the Border Regiment during the Boer War. This is William Patrick who was born in Naas, Kildare in 1880 so not your man.

It looks like he did not serve in the Boer War.

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Searching for William Murphy, 2nd Battalion Border Regiment circa 1905-6 3 years 10 months ago #69145

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
FindMyPast has service papers for someone who may be him. You will need a subscription to their site to investigate.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Searching for William Murphy, 2nd Battalion Border Regiment circa 1905-6 3 years 10 months ago #69155

• foggo1
  • foggo1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
David

Thankyou very much for your prompt and detailed reply. I have joined FindMyPast this morning and think I have found my man.

I hope you don't mind, but I have a quick follow up question.......if he lived in married quarters, I assume this means his wife lived with him? If so, how did wives generally travel to their husbands locations, on the troopships, or did they have to make their own way? Or were the married quarters only for men who married whilst 'on location'.

Many thanks again for your expert help, much appreciated.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.599 seconds