Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

William Sheridan, Imperial Yeomanry 3 years 11 months ago #68672

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
SIN AND THE PENALTY.
A remarkable case came before Mr. Justice Bigham at the Hampshire Assizes, Winchester, when William Sheridan, an Imperial Yeoman, aged 24, was charged with attempting to murder Mary Ann Warburton at Aldershot, and with attempting to commit suicide. Sheridan and Mrs. Warburton, whose husband is a soldier in India, were brother and sister, although he was unaware of the fact when in May last, having been invalided home from South Africa, he met her in Aldershot. Despite the fact that she was already married, he became intimate with her, and they went about together a good deal. He grew jealous of her, and finally, on the last night in the year, they went together to a barren part outside Aldershot, and there the next morning both were found seriously injured with revolver shots. Both recovered, and while lying in prison awaiting trial prisoner wrote to the woman a letter, in the course of which he said : "I never thought our sins would find us out so quickly and in so tragic a manner. 'The wages of sin is death' - or the broad arrow, and the latter is my lot." In his defence Sheridan said the woman had asked him for money, and when he replied that he had none said she would go and ask another man with whom she was friendly for it. He then lost his temper and shot her, and then himself. A sentence of three years' penal servitude was passed upon him.

Rhyl Record and Advertiser, Saturday 14th February 1903

A very strange story. How did they find out they were brother and sister?

"......were brother and sister, although he was unaware of the fact when in May last, having been invalided home from South Africa, he met her in Aldershot" seemed a bit dubious to me, but the only man I could find whose age fitted was a William Sheridan, born in the first quarter of 1879, and whose birth was in the Brentford Registration District, his mother's maiden name being left blank.

An article in the Guardian says that most unmarried mothers in Victorian times had to give up their babies to foundling hospitals
www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/se...abies-new-exhibition

www.theundergroundmap.com/article.html?id=2446

Was the Brentford William Sheridan born illegitimate and given to a foundling hospital, and was he William Sheridan of the Imperial Yeomany?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.321 seconds