Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Fred I'Anson, Northumberland Fusilers - accidentally drowned 24.12.1900 4 years 1 month ago #68013

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
He may have been Frederic Stewart I'Anson, whose birth was registered at Newcastle-upon-Tyne, second quarter of 1878, and whose mother's maiden name was Stewart. It seems that he was attached to the Somerset Light Infantry at the time of his death.

HEXHAM VOLUNTEERS AT THE FRONT.

ONE DROWNED AND ANOTHER INVALIDED.
Regret was generally expressed in Hexham on Saturday on its becoming known that Private F. I'Anson of the Service Company of the 1st Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers had been accidentally drowned at Jacobsdal on December 24th. Private I'Anson was one of the twenty-seven members of the Hexham Company who joined the Service Company (which was commanded by Captain R. C. Hedley and Lieut. G. F. Fisher), and his death is the first casualty that has occurred among the Hexham men now in South Africa. Private I'Anson was a printer to trade, was a tall, strapping young fellow, but was not a native of the town, and had only been resident in it a year or so when he volunteered to go to the front. Of the 96 members of the 1st V.B. Northumberland Fusiliers who went out to South Africa only two have died. Private Tweddle, formerly of the Prudhoe Company, who succumbed to enteric fever, and the case of Pte. I'Anson from drowning.

The Hexham Courant, Saturday 5th January 1901

THE ACTIVE SERVICE VOLUNTEERS. - THE DROWNING OF PRIVATE I'ANSON. - Private I'Anson, who was drowned at Jacobsdal on Dec. 24th, as reported in last week's "Courant," served his apprenticeship as a printer with Mr Miles, Stokesley. Afterwards he worked for Mr Scrafton, Dundas Mews, Middlesbrough, up to two years since, when he went to Newcastle, and afterwards to Hexham. While at Stokesley he joined C Company 1st North Yorkshire Volunteers, and at Hexham transferred into A (Hexham) Company, V.B. Northumberland Fusiliers. In the early part of last year he and 26 others volunteered for South Africa, and were sent to the 1st Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers, under Lord Methuen, going through all engagements up to Dec. 24th, when he was accidentally drowned while crossing a river. He leaves a wife and a boy at Stokesley to mourn his loss. His mother lives in Boswell Street, Middlesbrough./size]

The Hexham Courant, Saturday 12th January 1901

THE HEXHAM VOLUNTEERS AT THE FRONT. - A letter dated Kimberley, January 14th, has been received from Private J. E. Murray, in which he says the volunteer service company of the First Northumberlands will not be able to return home before the end of March or April. Fifty of them are attached to the Somerset regiment, and started trekking again the week before Christmas. They spent Christmas and the New Year on the veldt and had "bully beef" and biscuits for dinner. They have been engaged in taking convoys to Boshof, Jacobsdal, Koffyfontein, and Christiana. They just reached Kimberley on Jan. 13th and they were to take another convoy to Boshof next morning. When at Jacobsdal, Fred. I'Anson was drowned while bathing. Three others tried to get I'Anson out, but they could not get near him, the current being so swift. He adds that Pte. Ritson and some of the others were somewhere in the Edenberg district. They are just in the middle of summer, and it is very hot.

The Hexham Courant, Saturday 16th February 1901

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds