Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

John Roberts, Royal Army Medical Corps - suicide on 31.7.1906 4 years 9 months ago #64275

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
EX-CHEMIST'S SUICIDE.

Grim Midnight Discovery.
A man named John Roberts, who lodged at 30, Albert-street, Miskin, Mountain Ash, committed suicide by taking strychnine soon after midnight on Tuesday. The persons with whom he lodged heard groans proceeding from deceased's bedroom, and on going there found that he had taken poison. P.C. Barnes and Dr. Llewellyn Williams, who were sent for immediately, found that life was extinct. Deceased, who was a native of North Wales, was a married man, but lived apart from his wife. He was formerly a chemist, and served with the Army Medical Corps in the late war in South Africa.

The Cardiff Times, Saturday 4th August 1906

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

John Roberts, Royal Army Medical Corps - suicide on 31.7.1906 4 years 9 months ago #64280

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I wonder who he was, the clues are there, I had thought, initially 11046 John Roberts, his medal appears to have been returned to Woolwich in 1908, but, he was from Sunderland, his next of kin given was a sister, address unknown, will have to look further in due course.

John Roberts, Royal Army Medical Corps - suicide on 31.7.1906 4 years 9 months ago #64281

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
I find it sad that so many men who served in the ABW can only be remembered by the way they met their deaths. John Roberts was a chemist, and had been married - he must have been through happier times, what could have driven him to suicide? Probably buried in the Cemetery at Mountain Ash. Rest In Peace, John.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.447 seconds