TOPIC:

John Renner 160 Coy, 36 Battalion 5 years 1 month ago #62588

• Chef_Hendrix
  • Chef_Hendrix's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Good Afternoon all,

on doing some family research I came across a distant cousin, John Renner, 41834 who attested for one year on 13th Jan 1902. His IY service record still exists and he is listed initially as a L/Cpl on his rank at discharge, but this has been crossed through and replaced with Pte. So I assume he only held an acting rank.

HIs service is as follows

Home 13/01/02 - 25/05/02
South Africa 26/05/02 - 02/01/03
Home 03/01/03 - 12/01/03

He was not awarded a QSA medal as the war ended several days after he was recorded as serving in South Africa.

My question is, are the dates showing him in South Africa from when he sailed from England, or when he first stepped on SA soil? I presume the former which is why he has no medal entitlement.

I can only imagine setting off on a voyage thinking you are going to war only to find out you missed it! Probably relief for most people.

I found an obituary which states that "John Renner joined the Northumberland Imperial Yeomanry as a young man and saw active service in the Boer War"

Staying in SA until Jan 03 would he have had a difficult time after the Treaty of Vereeniging and seen much "Active Service"?

Thanks

Gaz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

John Renner 160 Coy, 36 Battalion 5 years 1 month ago #62591

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Hello Gaz

I believe those dates to be when he sailed from the UK, disembarkation would have been about two weeks later.

After peace was declared there was the question of telling the scattered commandos war was over, a number of British soldiers were killed and wounded in June 1902. After that I understand the IY helped move Boer families from the concentration camps and towns back to their farms. Not difficult in itself but a job demanding some diplomacy and tact perhaps.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chef_Hendrix

John Renner 160 Coy, 36 Battalion 5 years 1 month ago #62592

• Chef_Hendrix
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Meurig,

Thanks for the info. Some further research has him sailing on the Sicilia which match the dates. I can't see when it arrived at South Africa, but can see it's return journey in July. They had a detour to Gibraltar, which may have added a few more days to the journey.

London Times, 27 May 02 (Tuesday).
The Sicilia embarked, at Southampton, the 35th and 36 Bns. Imperial Yeomanry , numbering about 1,000 men. Also some details for Gibraltar.

London Times, 16 Jul 02 (Wednesday)
The Sicilia left for England July 8, with the following on passage home:

I wonder if he ever thought he deserved a medal. His brother Ralph had the QSA with 5 clasps. He later emigrated to Canada where he was a Policeman, perhaps using the experience he picked up whilst in the IY. Ralph went on to serve in the Great War.

Is there any further reading or info which may shed some light on the exploits of IY 160 Coy 36 Battalion during their time in South Africa?

Regards

Gaz

John Renner 160 Coy, 36 Battalion 5 years 1 month ago #62602

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Hello Gaz

Sorry, I don't know any sources for those battalions, in general there is very little or nothing on the immediate post-war activities.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chef_Hendrix

John Renner 160 Coy, 36 Battalion 4 years 3 months ago #67325

• bikeguy
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello
John Renner was my grandfather. The information in this thread is accurate. One his return to England John worked the family farm till he set out for Australia in 1913. He made it as far as Vancouver, Canada and made Canada his home. Working initially for the City of South Vancouver he then moved on and in 1915 he joined the British Columbia Police Force where he remained for the balance of his life. He was well respected within the force and earned many accolades from his superiors.
His brother Ralph also wen to the Boer War and then remained in England. I am research Ralph now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Chef_Hendrix

John Renner 160 Coy, 36 Battalion 4 years 3 months ago #67326

• Chef_Hendrix
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Bikeguy,

If my family tree is correct I think we share a 4th Great Grandfather (would be your 3rd GG) I have a few bits of info on Ralph and John (both very popular names in our extended family!) If you would like I will private message you my email if you want to share information?

I did try and contact some police museums in the Vancouver area, and although they were very helpful I didn't find any new information.

Kind regards

Gaz

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.389 seconds