TOPIC:

John McConnell 5 years 2 months ago #62505

• Chef_Hendrix
  • Chef_Hendrix's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Afternoon all,

Just doing some family research I came across an article on BNA which mentions my GGG Uncle George Benton (3910 12th Lancers Oct '95 - Sep '02/ 4789 16th Lancers Sep '02- Jun '03) and a John M'Connell.

The article is about how George Benton has had 3 charges brought against him whilst licensee of the Waggon Inn in Kelso, the first is below.

(George Benton is..) .....charged with having on Sunday, the 6th of August, within the said licensed premises committed a breach of his certificate in so far as he did (1) give out one reputed pint of whisky to John M'Connell, officer of the S.S.P.C.A, residing at Galashiels

the article then goes on to the defence and mentions the following,

witness said he was very intimate with Mr Benton, having been brigaded with him at the South African War.

I have had a look and discovered he is John McConnell, 33 yrs, Officer (Scottish) Prevention Cruelty to Animals old in the 1911 Scottish Census and was born in Apr 1877, Dalziel, Lanark, from his birth register.

There are not many John McConnells recorded but wondered if anyone would be able to narrow him down to satisfy my curiosity! My thinking being that he must have been working alongside my GGG Uncle when he was with the 12th and perhaps the 16th Lancers. The obvious choice (to me anyways!)would be 39360 Trooper J McConnell, Scottish Horse but would gladly welcome any advice in further research.

Edit: Don't think it is 39360, it looks like he was discharged in Australia

Incidentally George did not have his license renewed the following year due to this incident.

Thanks

Gaz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.650 seconds