• Page:

TOPIC:

More info on family in Kaffararian Rifles 5 years 1 month ago #62426

• Janet Brock
  • Janet Brock's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, I found 2 family members, namely Brock A (my great grandfather) and AE, (his brother) listed under the name search, but cannot find any other information.
Brock A, was a Private at Bechuanaland, no idea from when to when or where he went thereafter. I have found a record of him travelling on ss Trojan 28/7/1881, but nothing else worthwhile. His full names Alfred George.
His unit number 4332, after transfer to reserves.
Brock AE was a bugler Major also at Bechuanaland, no dates or idea where he went. He baptised a daughter in East London 1909, obviously few years missing. His unit number 257.
I would be so grateful if there is anybody that can help me with this. Have been battling 2 years to trace my military family.
Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More info on family in Kaffararian Rifles 5 years 1 month ago #62427

• Adrian123456
  • Thank you received: 241
Hi Janet

Private A Brock is shown on the Cape of Good Hope General Service Medal, as a recipient of a medal with Bechuanaland clasp, with the Kaffrarian Rifles.This campaign took place in 1896-1897.(Langberg Campaign)

There was no medal issued for another Brock, according to the roll.

The major units in the Bechuanaland Field Force were all South African and included:

Prince Alfred’s Own Cape Volunteer Artillery (40 men)
Cape Mounted Riflemen (133 men, Regular soldiers)
Cape Police (897 men)
Cape Town Highlanders (111 men)
Diamond Fields Artillery (23 men)
Diamonds Field Horse (127 men)
Duke of Edinburgh’s Own Volunteer Rifles (241 men)
Kimberley Rifles (176 men)
First City Volunteers (106 men)
Gordonia Volunteers (76 men)
Queenstown Rifle Volunteers (66 men)
Kaffrarian Rifles (87 men)
Oudtshoorn Volunteer Rifles (42 men)
Vryburg Volunteers (39 men)
Cape Medical Staff Corps (24 men)
Transport Corps (19 men)

Regards
Adrian
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Janet Brock

More info on family in Kaffararian Rifles 5 years 1 month ago #62428

• Janet Brock
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks Adrian
I see A, Brock ..yes, AE Brock was on provisional list..
This lot is driving me totally insane. I sit on Net for hours trying to find them, but no chance. Even my grandpa who was with Union Ordnance Corps is impossible..he hailed William George, but somewhere along the line dropped the George. Between England/ Sa there are 1000' s of Brocks by these names.
Im seriously ready to give up on them.
RegardJ

More info on family in Kaffararian Rifles 5 years 1 month ago #62430

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
A shot in the dark Janet - I have a medal to John Brock and wondered whether or not he was a relative of yours?

Brief synopsis of his antecedents below: -

John Brock - Trooper, Damant’s Horse – Anglo Boer War

- Queens South Africa Medal with clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State & Transvaal to Tpr. J. Brock, Damant’s Horse

John Brock was born in Cadoxton on the outskirts of Cardiff in Wales in 1878 the son of John Brock and his wife Mary Ann. John senior was an Engine Driver by occupation. According to the 1881 Wales census taken when John was a boy of 3, he lived not with his parents but with his paternal grandfather, also John, who was an agricultural labourer, in the Cottage by the Hill in rural Cadoxton.

By the time the 1891 census rolled round a 13 year old John was in the paternal home along with his mother and father. This was at Fairford Street in Cadoxton. The family had obviously “found their feet” with a home of their own and the addition of a number of children in the form of David (11), Annie (8), Fred (7), Alice (5), Carrie (2) and baby Edgar (6 months) making up the numbers. Mrs Brock’s 27 year old sister, Carrie was also in residence.

Please let me know if he is known to you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Janet Brock

More info on family in Kaffararian Rifles 5 years 1 month ago #62431

• Janet Brock
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello Rory, The 2 Brocks I am looking for ,had father by name John Brock, or so I have been told. I can find no record that matches that info tho. I have been unable to find birth/ baptismal records for eith Alfred George or Ernest, as I am not at all sure where they were born..UK or SA.. Alfreds wife was Emily ( neé Cooper), 1901 census shows her and 3 kids in London, then 1911 census shows her and only 1. By that time my grandfather, William George and his sister Lilian were back in SA, in CPT, I have to presume as he married Louise Florence ( neé Gilbert) there in 1915, my father was also born in CPT. My grandfather was with Union Ordnance Corps, but his dad seems to have dissappeared after about 1899. Albert George was born approx 1849, so his dad,John would be abt 1810-1820+, my granddad ,William was born 1886. His siblings were Lillian 1883, Phillip Edward 1890/1.. As much as I want, Dont think I have enough info to find my family. There are just so many Brocks with the same names, its scary. Thank you so much for replying. Im totally bushy about SA history, especially Boer War, as my moms family, Luckhoff, were prominent Dominees in the camps and surrounds. I have much on them, including the book Womans Endurance wriiten by AD Luckhoff in Bethulie Camp. I would just like to give bith sides if my family, the German Dominees and the English soldiers equal respect, afterall, I owe them my life. Regards

More info on family in Kaffararian Rifles 5 years 1 month ago #62434

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
Brock children

Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.448 seconds