Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Joseph O'Connell, South African Light Horse 5 years 2 months ago #62407

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
I can't find what sentence O'Connell received. Anyone?

SERIOUS CHARGE AGAINST A RETURNED RESERVIST.
An inquest was held on Tuesday afternoon on Michael Stubbings, 40, stonemason, of Little North-street, Marylebone, who died on Sunday from injuries to his head, inflicted with an iron kettle by Joseph O'Connell, 23. the latter was formerly in the Metropolitan Police, and after serving as a soldier in South Africa, returned home on Sunday week. The deceased man lodged with O'Connell's mother and her daughters, and the prisoner resented his presence in the house, owing to the names he had called his sisters. After committing the crime the accused "went for" the police. The jury in returning a verdict of "Wilful murder" against O'Connell, expressed the opinion that there had been considerable provocation.

Derby Daily Telegraph, Wednesday 3rd September 1902

Joseph O'Connell, an ex-police constable in the "P" Division, who has just returned from service with the South African Light Horse, was at Marylebone on Monday charged with murdering Michael Stubbins. P.c. Barlow said he was patrolling Little North-street when O'Connell came out of one of the houses and excitedly exclaimed: "Here, guv'nor, I've killed a man in here." In a back room the constable found a man dressed only in a vest lying on the bed in an unconscious condition and bleeding profusely. Picking up an iron kettle, O'Connell said: - "This is what I did it with. I don't want to get out of it, for he annoys me every time I come home. He has been the cause of my getting dismissed from the police force, and he is the cause of my father's death." On the way to the station the accused said: - "When I struck him first it took no effect. He must be as hard as iron. I hit him again. It fetched blood. I hit him again, and that stopped his breathing. But I wish I had not lost my revolver, which I brought home from the front; then I could have blown his head clean off. Anyway, I hope I have finished him." The accused was quite cool, but he had been drinking. Since the arrest Stubbins has died in St. Mary's Hospital. Prisoner was remanded.

The Tamworth Herald, Saturday 6th September 1902

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Joseph O'Connell, South African Light Horse 5 years 2 months ago #62411

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Trpr 2969 entitled to OFS,T,SA02 medal returned 16-11-1906.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.391 seconds