Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Alfred Henry Royal 5 years 1 month ago #62266

• Pauldup
  • Pauldup's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I know this is a shot in the dark, but here goes. My Great Grandfather was Alfred Henry Royal born 9-2-1871 in Bow London UK. He married Edith Annie Robertson in Salt River South Africa 18-May 1899. Amongst some old photos I found a picture of some people sitting around a table with the caption "Mafikeng Die Hards hold reunion" or something close to that. Alfred died 6-2-1942 so this must have been prior to that. I have searched for his name and Find 3 x Alfred Henry Royal who did service with Bushveld carabineers, Mafikend Railway volunteers & Mafikeng Town Guard. I am sure one of these if not all of the or the two who were at Mafikeng are the same person My Great grandfather. My problem is I do not know what he looks like so cant pick him out in the Photo and secondly I would dearly like to find his QSA medal or Medals as they appear on the nominal roll. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Searching for the "Royal" family name is a pain as the results are mostly "Royalty" and not what I am looking for.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Alfred Henry Royal 5 years 1 month ago #62267

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Pauldup
There is only one "Royal" in Colin Walker's Mafeking Siege Register. Specifically, "Alfred Henry Royal"; member of the Town Guard, Railway Div. Later service with PLH as 233 SQMS and BVC. Was a visitor to Mafeking Freemasons. What leads you to think that your GGF was awarded an ABO?
Regards
IL.

Alfred Henry Royal 5 years 1 month ago #62268

• Pauldup
Thyank you, for the reply. As i stated my great grandfathers name was Alfred Henry Royal. After my Mother died (his grandaughter) i came across many old photographs. The one in question as i stated above is of a group of people at a reunion of the "Mafeking Die Hards", could just be coincedence but I highly doubt it. Obviously with him having died nearly 30 years befor I was born I have no Idea what he looks like and cant point him out on the photo. From what I can see Alfred Henry Royal no 233 of the Bushveldt carbineers and the 2 mafikeng Units is the same person.

Alfred Henry Royal 5 years 1 month ago #62269

• Pauldup
I see the confusion. I mean QSA not ABO (as in the boer medal) Sorry for the confusion. I have ammended my initial post.

Alfred Henry Royal 5 years 1 month ago #62270

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
Paul - do you have any named photos iro the Mafeking Siege that you could post here?

Alfred Henry Royal 5 years 1 month ago #62272

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Here is the FMP listing plus a mention of a book that he is named in...…

Mike

First name(s) Alfred Henry
Last name Royal
Service number 32733
Rank Private
Regiment Mafeking Town Guard

Other regiments/units Unit: served with Pietersburg Light Horse, Rank: Squadron Quartermaster Sergeant, Number: 32733; Unit: served with Bushveldt Carbineers, Rank: Squadron Quartermaster Sergeant, Number: 233

Rolls WO100/263 page 177; WO100/263 page 191; WO100/283 page 167; WO100/283 page 181

Literary references

The National Archives WO127. Nominal rolls colonial units.;

The Bushveldt Carbineers and the Pietersburg Light Horse. Woolmore, W (Bill). Slouch Hat Publications McRae, Australia. 2002

QSA Clasps: DoM,OFS,T,SA01,SA02
Country Great Britain
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pauldup

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.394 seconds