Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Henry Hannington - Royal Field Artillery - Boer War? 5 years 4 months ago #61408

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Thanks Andy, the Austrian company would have been manufacturers of photographic supplies. The seal looks "oriental" - as suggested by the white helmet, quite where I don't know - anywhere from Egypt to Hong Kong.

The service papers you are about to get should give the various locations he served at.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Henry Hannington - Royal Field Artillery - Boer War? 5 years 4 months ago #61534

• andylewis
  • andylewis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
A slightly belated but big thanks to all on this forum who responded so helpfully to my query. The service papers Meurig kindly sent me showed that my grandfather had been in India for nearly 10 years after joining the RFA in 1900, so not in South Africa. Amazing that I have a grandfather who was in the army while Queen Victoria was still on the throne. I don't feel old enough!

As mentioned previously, my mother didn't get on with Henry, her father, who she said was a bully and drinker. Piecing together his life, however, gives me a different perspective on him, and maybe starts to explain a few things. His own upbringing was very hard, the oldest of four kids in a poor family and losing his mother when he was 12, 15 years in the army which I guess would have brutalised him a bit, then losing his own wife (my grandmother) when she was young leaving him with 8 kids to bring up alone, then dying in the London Blitz. He had a tough life. Maybe, most of us wouldn't have been much different with that life story.

As I spent some time in India myself back in the 1970's I'd now like to find out what he did there, where he was stationed etc. Not sure how I do that.

Regards, Andy
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.344 seconds