Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Private J. Lazenby, 2nd Coldstream Guards - died 19.7.1900 5 years 5 months ago #61004

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2304
Can anyone come up with his first name?

GUARDSMAN REJOINS HIS REGIMENT
[FROM OUR OWN REPORTER]
Private Lazenby, of Jefferson-street, Goole, has been recalled, as a reserve of the 1st Coldstream Guards, to rejoin his regiment. Mr Lazenby has only been married a few weeks, but Captain Lund, of the local Volunteers, has arranged to make provision for his wife. The Volunteers, who had a church parade at Airmyn on Sunday, gave Lazenby an enthusiastic send-off.
Hull Daily Mail, Tuesday 17th October 1899

GOOLE MAN AT THE FRONT.

DASTARDLY BOER TACTICS.
Mrs Lazenby, of Parliament-street, Goole, has received a further letter from her husband, Private Lazenby, of the 2nd Coldstream Guards, who is out in the Transvaal, in which he says: - "To tell you the truth, we are having something to do. We are in a very rough country. We made the first attack on the Boers on the 23rd of November, and the hill where the Boers were entrenched was very high, and this we had to climb. We thought we could not drive them out of it. We had a lot killed and wounded; it was such a sight that nearly made me sick; but thank God I came safe out of it; but we got in very dangerous quarters. We are going to make an attack on them either to-night or daylight in the morning, and we shall have some hard fighting to do, I am afraid. It is very hot out here, but we can put up with that. I have not had my trousers off yet. We are always ready to attack the Boers any time. We are at Belmont at present, but we are going to Kimberley. We have to fight our way to the Modder River yet. The Boers are a lot of bad men. They hoisted the flag of truce, and then fired on one of our officers, and, poor fellow, he is dead. The Guards in which I was charged, and I tell you the bullets were flying over our heads like peas. We lost a lot of the Guards. The battlefield is a horrible sight, but it can't be helped. You can tell Jack and Cris that I have been through one engagement for the first time, and it is worse than anybody would think; but I hope to be back soon. We shall be moving from here before long, and a lot of prisoners and cattle which we took we shall have to bring with us."
Hull Daily Mail, Wednesday 20th December 1899

MEN "CUT DOWN LIKE DOGS."
Private Lazenby, Reservist of the 2nd Battalion Coldstreams, wrote from Modder River to his wife at Goole, on December 15th: -
"Just a few more lines to let you know that I am still in the land of the living; that I was in another big battle, fought on the 11th of December. We lost a lot of men. They were cut down like dogs. The Boers are in the hills and we cannot get at them. We had fifteen hours' fighting, and then had to retire to camp, but we left the big guns there to shell the enemy. We are getting on the hills, and have given them forty-eight hours to bury the dead and carry away the wounded. The enemy have lost very heavily. The bullets were just like rain, and the men were faslling all over the field. I carried a wounded man on my back right through the firing line. Well, we have got some big guns now, and I think they will shift them."
Hull Daily Mail, Thursday 11th January 1900

DEATH OF A LOCAL SOLDIER.

Amongst one of the last lists of deaths reported from the Army in South Africa, is the name of Private J. Lazenby, of Hull. Private Lazenby was mentioned in despatches for the part he took in the battles of Modder River and Graspan. He went through the campaign with the 2nd Coldstream Goards, and died on July 19th from pneumonia. The deceased was a married man, and his wife now resides at Goole. Lazenby was married only nine weeks before he sailed for South Africa.
Hull Daily Mail, Friday 27th July 1900

This month's issue of the "Free Gardeners' Journal" contains a well-written obituary notice of the late Private Lazenby, 2nd Coldstream Guards, who, previous to being called to the front as a reservist, lived at Goole. Private Lazenby succumbed to pneumonia, after going through several engagements.
Hull Daily Mail, Monday 3rd September 1900

* The National United Order of Free Gardeners was a friendly society. Hull Minster holds an impressive memorial tablet for the men of the Free Gardeners' Hull District lodges who died in the Great War. www.historyshelf.org/shelf/free/18f.php
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Elmarie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Private J. Lazenby, 2nd Coldstream Guards - died 19.7.1900 5 years 5 months ago #61005

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Berenice
All I could come up with was "418 Pte. J.Lazenby". His QSA bore the clasps Belmont, Modder River, Diamond Hill, Johannesburg and Diamond Hill. WO100/164 notes his date of Death and the Palmer roll notes the place of death as Donkerhoek. He was Mentioned in Lord Roberts' Despatch of 4/9/01 as "LAZONBY".
Regards
IL.

Private J. Lazenby, 2nd Coldstream Guards - died 19.7.1900 5 years 5 months ago #61006

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2304
Thanks, IL. He's not to be confused, although they could have been related in some way, with James Lazenby, of Beverley.

"James Lazenby, a private in the Royal Artillery, who took part in the relief of Ladysmith, and has been invalided home to Beverley, was on Saturday the 15th recounting his adventures in the King's Head Inn. George Cawser, a private in the East Yorkshire Regiment, expressed doubt as to the accuracy of Lazenby's statements, and Lazenby took offence. While Cawser and two soldier friends were on their way to the barracks they came across Lazenby and two civilian friends. The men were all more or less under the influence of drink, and a serious disturbance ensued, fists, sticks, and belts being freely used. Cawser was left in an unconscious condition, and was removed to the military hospital, where he lay for eight hours before recovering consciousness.
The sequel was the appearance at the Beverley Police-court, this morning, of Private James Lazenby, his brother John Lazenby, and a young man named Thomas Futty, who were charged with assaulting Cawser.
The Chief Constable said there were faults on both sides, and he was prepared to withdraw the case against Private Lazenby on payment of costs.
The Justices assented to this course, and fined the other two men 10s each and costs."
Hull Daily Mail, Monday 24th September 1900

Private J. Lazenby, 2nd Coldstream Guards - died 19.7.1900 5 years 5 months ago #61007

• Volunteer
  • Thank you received: 142
He is John (? Thomas) Lazenby. Militia papers on FMP discharged 1896 to join Coldstream Guards. Married as ? John Thomas Lazenby 1899

Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, BereniceUK

Private J. Lazenby, 2nd Coldstream Guards - died 19.7.1900 5 years 5 months ago #61009

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 950
His grave at Diamond Hill

Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, BereniceUK

Private J. Lazenby, 2nd Coldstream Guards - died 19.7.1900 5 years 5 months ago #61013

• Georgegt351
  • Thank you received: 31
How do you keep doing it Elmarie, do you have a photo of every Boer War related headstone in South Africa- on a couple of occasions you provide me with photo's within 24 hours-just keep up the good work a fantastic service.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.464 seconds