Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Private 7603 Robert Small Volunteer Service Company The Black Watch (Royal Highl 5 years 6 months ago #60850

• Mikky
  • Mikky's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 13
I'm trying to find more information on Private 7603 Robert Menzies Small Volunteer Service Company The Black Watch/2nd Black Watch? He died of dysentery at Bloemfontein on the 10th of April, 1900. There is a book (on archive.org) that had photographs of many of the men who served in the Boer War but I cannot remember what it was called, and can't find it using various search terms.

He was born on the 30th of April 1875 at Dull, near Aberfeldy. Can anyone help with information, or even better, a photograph?

1891 Census

Wester Carse

Alexander Small Head age 72 farmer
Catherine wife age 49
John 36 ploughman
Eliza 27 housemaid
Jessie 22 general servant
Kate 18 assistant teacher
Robert M 15 scholar

I can find a service record for his comrade Donald McCulloch on FindMyPast search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM/WO...GBM/WO97/5392/943051

Am also looking for the source of the photo of John McInnes in South Africa. I'm sure it's from a book on archive.org but can't find it.

Regards Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Private 7603 Robert Small Volunteer Service Company The Black Watch (Royal Highl 5 years 6 months ago #60851

• Mikky
Robert Small is mentioned on a brass Memorial recently given to me from someone who rescued it years ago. I seem to have reached my limit of attachments. Will post the memorial when find suitable host website.

Cheers Mike

Private 7603 Robert Small Volunteer Service Company The Black Watch (Royal Highl 5 years 6 months ago #60852

• Mikky
A colleague on the Great War Forum has found book

archive.org/details/militaryhistoryo00athouoft/page/n9

Mike

Private 7603 Robert Small Volunteer Service Company The Black Watch (Royal Highl 5 years 6 months ago #60853

• SWB
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 451

Mikky wrote: Robert Small is mentioned on a brass Memorial recently given to me from someone who rescued it years ago. I seem to have reached my limit of attachments. Will post the memorial when find suitable host website.

Cheers Mike

Hello Mikky

I would be really interested to see this memorial. I wasn't aware this site limited attachments.

Regards
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Private 7603 Robert Small Volunteer Service Company The Black Watch (Royal Highl 5 years 6 months ago #60856

• Mikky
Will post this when I can. File is too big

Private 7603 Robert Small Volunteer Service Company The Black Watch (Royal Highl 5 years 6 months ago #60857

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 950
Grave in Pres Brand Cemetery, Bloemfontein and his name also appears on the British Memorial

Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK, Mikky

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.606 seconds