• Page:

TOPIC:

John Kennedy/O’Neill 5 years 6 months ago #60469

• Tipperdarby
  • Tipperdarby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
This is my first time on this forum. I am looking for information on my paternal Grandfather who called himself John Kennedy during his time in the 2nd Boer War. In WW1 he was in the RAMC and he was known as John O’Neill........All of my paternal family that we know of were known as O’Neill .
John Kennedy was a Lance Corporal in the Royal Irish Fusiliers #5586. I do have a picture of him in uniform from that time. I would love to know when he actually enlisted and what was his history before that time. I have his WW1 records where it states that he also fought in the Boer War as John Kennedy.
I would be very grateful for any information or insight as to why he used an alias.
Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

John Kennedy/O’Neill 5 years 6 months ago #60472

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Hello and Welcome Tipperdarby……

Looked him up on Find My Past and cannot find hum under either name or number.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

John Kennedy/O’Neill 5 years 6 months ago #60473

• Tipperdarby
  • Tipperdarby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you Mike for the welcome and for looking him up. I have a document I found on Ancestry giving a list of men from the 2nd Battalion of the RIF who were entitled to the Queens S. Africa medal and clasp and Lance Corp John Kennedy 5586 is on that list. It is dated 27/07/03 and the place is Potchefstroom. This Grandfather of mine has been a challenge for me in my genealogy search!

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.352 seconds