Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Count Otto von Waldstein, Boer volunteer 6 years 2 months ago #56982

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
From The Evening Express (Cardiff) of Saturday, 4th May 1907, and also various Northern California newspapers: -

KILLED IN MISTAKE

A Count's Tragic End.
"A body has just been exhumed by order of the authorities from a pauper's grave in San Francisco, and identified as that of Count Otto Von Walderstein, a veteran of the Boer war, in which he took the Dutch side. His friends declare that he is a nephew of a prince of the House of Wuertemberg, and he took service with the Boers because the course of true love did not run smoothly with him in Austria. At the conclusion of the war he came to the United States.
The circumstances of his death were extraordinary. A murder having been committed outside the city, the sheriff sent a body of men into the hills in the direction which he believed the murderer had taken. Count Otto, being suddenly surprised by these men, believed himself to be attacked, and his attitude of defence gave the pursuers the idea that they had caught the criminal.
Shots were exchanged, and the count was killed, and there being no one at hand to claim his body, and the money upon him being insufficient to pay for burial, he was buried in unconsecrated ground. The inquiries of his friends led to the mistake being discovered."

The Sacramento Union newspaper reported on Sunday, 5th May 1907: -

CONSUL WANTS INVESTIGATION

Death of Count Von Waldstein, Who Was Shot by a Posse Near Willows, May Cause Complications.

Acting Austrian Consul Karl Ruiz de Roxes has made a demand on Governor Gillett for an investigation of the killing of Count Otto von Waldstein near Willows several days ago. Waldstein, it is said, was taken for Smith, the Oakland murderer, when the posse of officers overtook him and opened fire. The investigation demanded was commenced yesterday when the Governor's office directed District Attorney Claude L. Purkett to collect evidence and forward it to Sacramento.
The demand made on Governor Gillett was as follows:
"Enclosed I beg to hand to you an article which appeared in the San Francisco Examiner pertaining to the killing of Count Otto von Waldstein, a subject of Austria. According to this and previous reports of the shooting by the officials of Glenn county near Willows, Waldstein was mistaken for one Frank Smith, murderer of a restaurant keeper in Oakland, and it furthermore appears that Waldstein's killing was unjustifiable, if not perhaps encouraged by the reward offered for the capture of Frank Smith.
"Since Waldstein was an Austrian subject, I am obliged to respectfully request your excellency to order an immediate, rigorous investigation of this matter, and if as a result of the same it should be found that the parties responsible for the shooting are unable to justify their action, to prompt the attorney-general of this state to take the necessary steps for their punishment.
Asking you to place copies of the sworn testimony resulting from your inquiry at the disposition of this office. I have the honor to remain,
"KARL RUIZ DE ROXAS,
"Acting Austrian Consul."

But a week later, the San Francisco Call, of 11th May, published this: -

COUNT VON WALDSTEIN WRITES TO ALAMEDA MAN

Says He Hopes that Report of His Death at Willows May Mean Long Life to Him

ALAMEDA, May 10. - Count Otto von Waldstein, who was reported by a San Francisco morning paper to have been the man shot and killed by a constable's posse at Willows and who is now at Klamath Falls, Ore., has written a letter to Alexander Politzer of this city in which he says: I am very much excited by the news of my tragic death and can only write a few lines. You know I am a crack shot and had it been me at whom the pursuers shot I feel quite certain that several of them would have been left on the field of battle. Does this death notice mean long life to me? I hope so."

So who was Otto von Waldstein, and is there any record of him fighting with the Boers? And when did he finally die?

An excellent and comprehensive article about the murder committed by Smith can be read here.... www.darkcornersofhistory.com/?p=311

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Count Otto von Waldstein, Boer volunteer 6 years 2 months ago #56998

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Berenice,

That's a very interesting saga.

I cannot find him on the ABO list so, presuming what he said is true, he may not have applied for his medal?
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.316 seconds