Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Trooper Richard Williams, Lancashire Hussars Imperial Yeomanry 7 years 4 months ago #50094

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
I came across a newspaper report of this man's death, and funeral, yesterday; he contracted enteric fever at Kimberley, and was invalided home about six months before he died in the Bootle, Lancashire, area, on 27th November 1901. As in the post title above his unit was given as Lancashire Hussars Imperial Yeomanry - would this have been the 32nd Company?

If so, is this him? - Williams Richard 8890 Private Source: QSA Medal Rolls 32nd Company, 2nd Btn, IY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Trooper Richard Williams, Lancashire Hussars Imperial Yeomanry 7 years 4 months ago #50095

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Berenice
According to BBM 7, there were two Lancashire IY Coys; the one you mentioned and the other was 107th Coy., 6th Bn. Just now, had a look on my IY CD and I did not see an R.Williams listed for 107th Coy., 6th Bn.
Just the one for 32nd Coy., 2nd. Bn.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Trooper Richard Williams, Lancashire Hussars Imperial Yeomanry 7 years 4 months ago #50098

• BereniceUK
Thanks, Ian. I'll get down there to have a look for his grave as soon as I can. He died in Litherland and I've been trying to get access to the church there, as it has an ABW memorial plaque, without success. Too far away for me to get to on a Sunday by bus.

Trooper Richard Williams, Lancashire Hussars Imperial Yeomanry 6 years 2 days ago #58063

• scouseandy
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Berenice

I'm very late to this conversation, and don't know whether you ever made it to St Helens Church (Sefton)? If not, then hopefully you will like the attachment. It's a photo I took or Richard Williams' gravestone a little while ago now. I was told it's the oldest military grave in Sefton Churchyard. Richard is buried near to quite a few other members of his family, he was my great-grandmother's brother.

I was quite touched by the message on the base - 'he sleeps, the man we loved'.

I'd be interested in knowing more about the newspaper report if you are happy to share?

Thanks and all the best

Andy

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

Trooper Richard Williams, Lancashire Hussars Imperial Yeomanry 6 years 2 days ago #58067

• BereniceUK
Hello Andy, thanks for posting. Lovely to see the photo of his gravestone - I could get to the churchyard okay, but I haven't yet been as the only time there is easy access to the church itself is Wednesday afternoons - not easy by bus from Lancaster.

Here are a couple of items from the local press. I have a few more relating to Richard Williams, and, if you can PM me an email address I'll send you them (I'm not sure if you have to have made a certain number of posts before you can send a private message).

THE LATE TROOPER RICHD. WILLIAMS, OF LITHERLAND.

SIR, - This gallant young soldier, who saw a good deal of service in South Africa, and who was widely known in Waterloo and district, I deeply regret to say passed away on Wednesday, 27th ult., at the home of his father, Bridge-road, Litherland. Trooper Williams contracted enteric fever at Kimberley, and was invalided home about six months ago. He only made a partial recovery - the trouble had taken too deep a hold - and the brave young spirit flashed out. Dick Williams was known and loved by both young and old, his breezy manner, kindly and happy temperament, made him a general favourite in the neighbourhood. There is a deep and widespread feeling that something should be done to perpetuate his memory, and it is suggested that a suitable tombstone be erected in Sefton Churchyard, where his remains were laid on Saturday last. I might add here that more than three hundred people assembled round the grave, all eager to pay their last tribute of respect and love. Mr. Wm. Affleck Cookson, J.P., C.C., is taking a sympathetic interest in the idea of a memorial, and I shall be pleased to receive any contributions for the object named, or, if more suitable to the subscribers, these can be paid into the London City and Midland Bank, Waterloo Branch, South-road. These subscriptions will be duly acknowledged in the columns of the "Herald."

I feel sure that a worthy response will be made to this appeal, and I would like to add that I should wish all classes to contribute, so that the memorial may be thoroughly representative. Subscriptions from one shilling upwards will be gladly received. This is all we can do now, and I have greatly mistaken the Waterloo and Seaforth public if they fail to give the little in memory of the brave lad who gave all, even life itself, for his King and country. - Yours, etc.,
BENJAMIN BRADLEY,
Councillor, Waterloo-with-Seaforth District Council.
Sefton Villa, Birchdale-road, Waterloo.

Funeral of the Late Richard Williams.

On Saturday last a most impressive funeral took place at Sefton Parish Church, when the remains of Richard Williams (late of the Lancashire Hussars Imperial Yeomanry and of South Africa) were laid in their last resting-place in the presence of a very large concourse of his friends. The funeral service was conducted by the Rev. Sherwood Jones, curate of St. Philip's, Litherland, and the organist of Sefton Parish Church, Mr. Jos. Cryer, presided at the organ, playing a military funeral march as the body was carried to the church, and the Dead March in "Saul" as it was carried to the grave. The principal mourners were Mr. and Mrs. H. Williams (father and mother), Messrs. John, William, and George Williams (brothers), Miss Williams and Mrs. Cunningham (sisters), Mr. Cunningham (brother-in-law), Mr. G. T. Bruce (uncle), Mrs. Blundell, Mrs. Roberts, and Mrs. Evans (aunts), Miss Blundell, Miss Savage. Amongst those at the graveside were Councillors John Clay, Thomas Evans, and B. Bradley. Messrs. M. Bradley, F. Roberts, H. S. Neale, W. Bradley, R. Armstrong, W. Quigg, G. Bark, W. Smith, R. Shacklady, Bert Edwards, John Berry, D. Montgomerie, S. Ormisher, C. C. Cain, F. Murphy, and Private Bond. Wreaths were sent by the following: - Mr. and Mrs. H. Williams, his brother Jack, Bert Edwards, his sister Maggie, Polly and Agnes, Seaforth Conservative Club, Mrs. Clark, John Blundell, his aunt Helen, Mrs. Rose, Mr. and Mrs. B. Bradley, W. Edwards, Mr. and Mrs. McLeon and family, E. and F. Sampson, Working Staff Castle Hotel, Maids at Nortenseer, Councillor John Clay, Fred Lord, Geo. Lathom, from Minnie (12, Hereford-road), R. Armstrong, Mr. and Mrs. James, Mr. and Mrs. Joe Bates, Miss Chesters, Mr. and Mrs. Barnby, Mr. T. Brew, from his Fellow Workmen, and one not named. The bearers were Messrs. F. Lord, W. McLeon, E. Bradley, and John Webster.

Both items from the Waterloo & Crosby Herald, 7 December 1901

This tablet is in St. Philip's Church, Litherland. There's also an ABW memorial inside Sefton Church which I assume has his name on.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.478 seconds