Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

GEORGE HENRY PARKER - LEICESTERSHIRE REGIMENT 7 years 5 months ago #50021

• Elmarie
  • Elmarie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 950
Hello All

I received an inquiry today about a George Henry Parker from the Leicestershire Regiment. He passed away in Ladysmith on 8 November 1899. The only Parker on the list of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission is a J. Parker [4399] from Leicestershire,1 who have died of his wounds (Ladysmith, Modderspruit) on 8 November 1899.

This is what the lady asks:

G.H. Parker was George Henry Parker... apparently he served in the leicestershire regiment, apparently he was a casualty... my mok found that out on facebook tonight... we are also trying to find out what his date of birth was, and according to facebook they say he is on a memorial and on a medal roll... we are trying to find out what medals he might have got..

Can anybody help me with this please?

Elmarie
Elmarie Malherbe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GEORGE HENRY PARKER - LEICESTERSHIRE REGIMENT 7 years 5 months ago #50028

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
Hello Elmarie

Sounds like they have some of my data from FindmyPast, which gives 4399 G Parker DoW 8-11-1899. Remarks state an initial 'J' also used in some sources.

Medal entitlement show is Talana & Defence of Ladysmith.

What is the "Commonwealth War Graves Commission " list you keep referring to?

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

GEORGE HENRY PARKER - LEICESTERSHIRE REGIMENT 7 years 5 months ago #50030

• Elmarie
  • Elmarie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 950
Thanks Meurig!

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission – South African branch, renovated all Imperial War Grave sites in 2010 – 2014 in South Africa. As the British graves from the Boer War forms the nucleus of the project, they also compiled a list of all the British Casualties with all details available. This list, as with most lists, do have some errors and the War Museum strives to rectify error where possible with your assistance.

Elmarie
Elmarie Malherbe

GEORGE HENRY PARKER - LEICESTERSHIRE REGIMENT 7 years 5 months ago #50034

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Elmarie,
I am more than a little puzzled by your correspondent, where exactly does she get the name George Henry Parker from?
If she is sure about the date of death and the particular regiment concerned?

If indeed this particular Parker is the man she is actually looking for, he was very clearly 4399 Private John Parker of the 1st Battalion Leicestershire Regiment.

To answer your correspondent and her particular questions, Parker was born in Whitwick Leicestershire in 1873 and is very clearly shown in WO100/177 in respect of his medal and clasps, Talana and Defence of Ladysmith, he is shown on this as "Killed Ladysmith 8/11/99" but, in actual fact, he appears to have been mortally wounded the day before by a shell.
Regards Frank

Elmarie wrote: Hello All

I received an inquiry today about a George Henry Parker from the Leicestershire Regiment. He passed away in Ladysmith on 8 November 1899. The only Parker on the list of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission is a J. Parker [4399] from Leicestershire,1 who have died of his wounds (Ladysmith, Modderspruit) on 8 November 1899.

This is what the lady asks:

G.H. Parker was George Henry Parker... apparently he served in the leicestershire regiment, apparently he was a casualty... my mok found that out on facebook tonight... we are also trying to find out what his date of birth was, and according to facebook they say he is on a memorial and on a medal roll... we are trying to find out what medals he might have got..

Can anybody help me with this please?

Elmarie

The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie

GEORGE HENRY PARKER - LEICESTERSHIRE REGIMENT 7 years 5 months ago #50035

• DavidW
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi All,
4399 George Parker is the subject of research by a relative Maria Van Staden. (To muddy the waters somewhat she claims he died fighting on the Boer side but gives his full names and British regimental number correctly. ) Wrong. 4399 is listed as a casualty,medal entitled. Both as a Private Leicester Regiment and as Private 14th Hussars. He was in South Africa pre Boer War and is believed to have served with the Johannesburg Police also. Do we know on which SA War Memorial his name is recorded.

Best Regards,
David.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie

GEORGE HENRY PARKER - LEICESTERSHIRE REGIMENT 7 years 5 months ago #50039

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Really?
It would certainly be a most interesting feat to be born in Leicestershire and also in Essex!
Two completely different men, moreover, George Parker was certainly not "in South Africa pre Boer War" and quite frankly, it would not be possible to even contemplate, extending ones service if you were actually dead.
So are you suggesting that both WO363 and WO97 are incorrect in both case's and if so, why?

DavidW wrote: Hi All,
4399 George Parker is the subject of research by a relative Maria Van Staden. (To muddy the waters somewhat she claims he died fighting on the Boer side but gives his full names and British regimental number correctly. ) Wrong. 4399 is listed as a casualty,medal entitled. Both as a Private Leicester Regiment and as Private 14th Hussars. He was in South Africa pre Boer War and is believed to have served with the Johannesburg Police also. Do we know on which SA War Memorial his name is recorded.

Best Regards,
David.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.420 seconds