Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

NOK Of Major Charles Wilfred Hext Supply & Transport Corps Indian Army 7 years 6 months ago #48944

• 142bravo
  • 142bravo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
I am at the point in my "collecting life" where I am gradually downsizing (a bit for now) my 40 year old Victorian uniform and headdress collection.

One of the things I have been able to do (with a bit of success to this point) is reunite some pieces from my collection with surviving Next of Kin of the soldiers who so proudly and honorably served their Countries colours.

One of the beautiful Victorian uniforms I have is a uniform to Charles Wilfred Hext Supply & Transport Corps Indian Army which I was able to purchase from the UK a number of years ago.

I recall in the recent past a forum member (not sure if this site or not) who was a direct relative of Major Hext and was attempting to find items pertaining to his military service.

I would like to be able to locate this relative and give them first right of refusal to purchase his uniform to reunite it with the family should they wish before I offer it elsewhere for sale.

Any chance anyone on the forum might be able to direct me to Major Hext's relative in this regard??

Sadly from what I have been able to research Major Charles Wilfred Hext died at Raz-el-tin Military Hospital, Alexandria, Egypt, on July 21st 1919.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

NOK Of Major Charles Wilfred Hext Supply & Transport Corps Indian Army 7 years 6 months ago #48956

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
142Bravo,

That would be a lovely gesture.

Charles W Hext has not been discussed before on this forum. The nearest we came was a Private T.H.B. Hext who is commemorated on the memorial in Newcastle which was photographed by Berenice.

I will see if I can find the forum on which he was discussed.

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: 142bravo

NOK Of Major Charles Wilfred Hext Supply & Transport Corps Indian Army 7 years 6 months ago #48957

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
He came from the south west and is commemorated on the Newton Abbott War Memorial 1914-18.

C. W. HEXT

Major Charles Wilfred Hext of the Supply and Transport Corps. Son of Edward and Ellen Hext; husband of Emily Hext. Born in Barnstaple in the December Quarter of 1880. Died 21 July 1919 aged 38.

Source: www.devonheritage.org/Places/Newton%20Ab...on1914WarMemGtoI.htm

You might be able to contact a descendent here: www.geni.com/people/Charles-Hext/6000000028392868339

Good luck! Please let us know how you get on.
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: 142bravo

NOK Of Major Charles Wilfred Hext Supply & Transport Corps Indian Army 7 years 6 months ago #48971

• 142bravo
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks for your kind words David.
I am hoping with the resources available these days and wonderful forum network that a Hext family member will be able to get in contact with me with the possibility that this wonderful uniform grouping find it's way back to the family.

Will certainly keep everyone posted ... Bruce

NOK Of Major Charles Wilfred Hext Supply & Transport Corps Indian Army 3 years 9 months ago #70305

• Davison
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I realise that three years have elapsed since you posted this topic, and perhaps you have made contact with the descendants of Charles Wilfrid Hext, or given up!
Anyway, if it is still of relevance to you, I may be able to find a contact for one of his grandchildren.
I assume that you acquired the tunic from the Hext Sale at Tennant's Auctioneers in 2010(?), probably the "saddest" auction that I have ever attended, with so many items that were obviously of considerable family interest being dispersed.
Let me know if I can help at all.

Kind regards,
Stuart

NOK Of Major Charles Wilfred Hext Supply & Transport Corps Indian Army 3 years 9 months ago #70317

• 142bravo
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Stuart: Thanks for the msg and your kind offer to assist. Sorry to report that after being unsuccessful in my search on various forums for any Hext family to first offer it to - the uniform was sold when I somewhat thinned out my 45 + year old Victorian British uniform and headdress collection last year.

Thank you again for your kind offer to assist - I wish it could have worked! Kindest regards from across the pond .... Bruce

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.857 seconds