• Page:

TOPIC:

Herbert Ernest Smith, gunner, RGA 7 years 7 months ago #48463

• TrenchCoat
  • TrenchCoat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am seeking assistance in my research on H E Smith.

Although he served with the Royal Filed Artillery in WW1, the 1901 census reveals that he was with the Royal Garrison Artillery at Shoeburyness Barracks; another record suggests he served in South Africa prior to WW1; there are some records (South Africa 1899-1902) on Ancestry which could be my man but it is impossible without more information to make the connection, but perhaps he served in the 2nd Boer War.

There are references that he was discharged in 1914 but re-enlisted later that year. He died in 1916 in Exeter hospital possibly due to illness brought about by a previous injury/accident; perhaps it was that which brought about the 1914 discharge.

CWGC records his wife as Henrietta G Smith of Oak Bridge, Sidbury, Sidmouth, Devon. I have reason to believe that they had at least two children, the first being born around 1913. I can't find a 1911 census for Herbert or a marriage record, so perhaps both of these were in the army. I believe his wife may have died in 1951.

Herbert was born in 1880 in Paignton, Devon to John & Sarah Smith; his wife's maiden name may have been Browne.

My research is in order to honour one of the men listed on our village war memorial, for which I would like to build as complete a picture as possible. In particular, the information I'd like to find are:
- His whereabouts in 1911
- His service with the RGA; including whether he fought in South Africa
- Did those at Shoeburyness Barracks serve in the Boer War and if so in which units (the Ancestry records are for the 65th and 84th Batteries)
- His second period of Army service, with the RFA (although I have also seen a suggestion that he was also with the Royal Horse Artillery)
- Would moving from RGA to RFA (and/or RHA) been a logical step
- Further information around his death and the initial cause
- Any other information about his family

If anyone is able to provide even the smallest snippet of information or suggestions of where next to take my research, I'd be most grateful. (Being a community project, sadly I don't have the funds to buy any records).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.728 seconds