78th battery section 7 years 7 months ago #48460

• Furlong1971
  • Furlong1971's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Some More
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

78th battery section 7 years 7 months ago #48461

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
Hello Dean

Thanks for all this.

The gun was recovered on 11th August, 1900 at Frederikstad by Right Section (Cpt Powell and Lt Anstruther) who were marching towards Mafeking under Lord Methuen. The Digest of Service makes no mention of the capture of the gun, I think this indicates the gun was captured by infantry or more likely mounted forces. The gunners just posed for a nice picture.

Was he there?
The medal roll state he served with 78th & 39th batteries. The KSA roll that shows 6 Depot was signed in 1902 in Seaforth - I don't think 6 Depot was ever in SA. This roll is simply just the men due a KSA serving with 6 Depot when the roll was created - hence the use of the column "Any other Corps in which served in South Africa". Farrow was posted to 6 Depot Aug 3 1902 - when he was returned to the UK (vide WO97).

WO97 states he served from March 1900 to August 1902. I think he joined 78 btty on arrival as he appears on their QSA roll and not 39 btty - by March 1900 he had missed the cut off date for Relief of Ladysmith clasp and 78 btty did not get Laing's Nek - being shipped out to the "Western Front" in April 1900 (vide Digest of Service). When he joined 39 btty is anyone's guess, I would say late 1901/1902 as he is not (apparently) on their medal rolls, 78 btty remained in SA after peace was declared.

From what I have seen there is no documentary evidence linking Farrow to Right Section in August 1900, but there is plenty of evidence to indicate he was with 78 btty in August 1900.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Furlong1971

78th battery section 7 years 7 months ago #48462

• Furlong1971
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you so much Meurig for all you're help
So I'm guessing there is a chance the man in the photo could be my great grandfather,but obviously speculative.
Just to let you know it was the second guy in from the left standing.
Once again thanks for you're input.
Best Regards Dean

78th battery section 7 years 7 months ago #48470

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Dean,
It would certainly do me the world of good if I actually looked rather than simply take a cursory glance at things, I would certainly agree with Meurig upon the date of being on the strength of Number 6 Depot, 3rd of August 1902, but, this certainly does not answer the original question, you may well never have an answer, merely an opinion, even if you did take that forensic route, as mentioned, notwithstanding, it could well be Farrow.
From memory, a few members of 39th Battery were involved in the affair at Tafelkop the week before Christmas 1901, now that certainly would be interesting to speculate!
I wish you bon chance anyway, incidentally, do you have Farrows medals, they were, without any doubt whatsoever, a well deserved and handsome pair?
Regards Frank

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Furlong1971

78th battery section 7 years 7 months ago #48484

• Furlong1971
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Frank
My great uncle had the medals and I remember seeing them as a child,I do remember general service medal for india and a medal with a yellow ribbon,I'm sure it had warzistan on it,and I also remember south african medals,but really was to young to take in,I think it was because I always thought he had been in the zulu wars!.
My great uncle passed away some years ago so I guess the medals went with his immediate family,I am going to try and make contact this week and try to get some photos of the medals and will post.
I am also going to try the forensic route because it would be the only surviving picture of him in his military service.
Thanks Frank for your intrest and help

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.455 seconds