TOPIC:

Charles Edward Slocock 8 years 2 months ago #45351

• andytwy
  • andytwy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello again.

Charles Edward Slocock (born 1868) was a distant relative of mine. In a newspaper article - Bristol Mercury 15 January 1896 - he appears in a very long list of men under the heading "Dr Jameson's Force - List of the prisoners" which I take to be to do with the "Jameson Raid". Slocock is next on a passenger list arriving Plymouth 25th February 1896 on the 'Harlech Castle' with all the men referred to as "mounted policeman".

I think my basic question might be - what happened to them then ? My limited knowledge of the Jameson Raid is that there was a trial in June 1896 - yet my Slocock man is on another passenger list dated 4th April 1896 departing Southampton for Cape Town on the 'Roslin Castle' with most passengers referred to as 'prospectors' or 'miners' or 'storeman'. (I haven't compared the arrival and departure lists to see if they are all the same men)

Was it only the "top people" of the Jameson Raid who stood trial ?

After the birth of his second son in 1911 in England, my Slocock man disappears off my radar, I have no idea where or when he died.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Charles Edward Slocock 8 years 2 months ago #45353

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Andytwy
A Charles Edward Slocock appears on the Owen roll of the British South Africa Company medal; with a note that he was a Jameson Raider with rank of Trooper, with D Troop of the MMP. He was entitled to the clasp for 1896 (with the Matabeleland Relief Force) and the clasp for 1897 with MRF.
There is quite an amount of material on this site about the Raid and it' s aftermath. Go to Miscellaneous and hit on Jameson Raid. To the best of my knowledge, only the "top people" stood trial.
I would not be surprised if Charles Edward Slocock saw service during the ABW. Just now, I had a quick look on the medal roll of the Southern Rhodesia Volunteers for the Relief of Mafeking clasp and found " 66 Sgt. Slocock, C.E." as a member of B Troop, Western Division; entitled to clasps RofM and Rhodesia. . Given the surname and forename initials, you might be invited to draw your own conclusions!
Best of luck with your quest.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: andytwy

Charles Edward Slocock 8 years 2 months ago #45354

• andytwy
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
many many thanks for that Linney1

forgive my ignorance - what does MMP and ABW stand for ?

Charles Edward Slocock 8 years 2 months ago #45355

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Andytwy
Sorry for that! Sometimes I think in initials. :sick: Anyway, ABW was used for the Anglo Boer War and MMP may stand for Mashonaland Mounted Police or Matabeleland Mounted Police. In this case, I think the latter.
Regards
IL..
The following user(s) said Thank You: andytwy

Charles Edward Slocock 8 years 2 months ago #45356

• andytwy
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
many thanks again

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.556 seconds