• Page:

TOPIC:

Michael McGlynn 8 years 4 months ago #44529

• ribsy
  • ribsy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Looking for any details of my relative who it is said fought in the Boer War. Michael was raised in an orphanage in Lancaster UK. He also may fought in WWI and is known to have served the Australian Army in WWII having enlisted with son Patrick in Victoria, Australia.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Michael McGlynn 8 years 4 months ago #44530

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Ribsy
Given the names you have provided, and the lack of hard data, that is a very difficult query to handle. "It is said he fought in the Boer War"; can you be more specific? Who says? Family records or .....? Have you looked for him in any UK census papers for the area he may have been raised in? If Michael McGlynn emigrated to Australia and served during WW2, the AWM site and our National Archives should have his enlistment papers stored digitally. If so, they may give a clue as to some of his background. For example, his previous service. Other than that, I think you have to fall back on reliable family sources and see where they lead you.
Good luck and - if you run into some hard data - I am certain that a site member would help in your quest.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ribsy

Michael McGlynn 8 years 4 months ago #44531

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
Hi Ribsy

Checked Find My Past and he is not listed there..... A couple of "J's" and a "W" only.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: ribsy

Michael McGlynn 8 years 4 months ago #44532

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
There certainly were a number of possible Michael McGlynn's, well, a handful, what do you know about him?

ribsy wrote: Looking for any details of my relative who it is said fought in the Boer War. Michael was raised in an orphanage in Lancaster UK. He also may fought in WWI and is known to have served the Australian Army in WWII having enlisted with son Patrick in Victoria, Australia.

Michael McGlynn 8 years 4 months ago #44543

• ribsy
  • ribsy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Michael McGlynn was born 1871 Ireland but his Australian army record shows Garston, Lancashire, this may have been Micks way of ensuring enlistment for WWII. He also dropped his age by ten years also for WWII.
He died in 1970 at the Heidelberg Repat Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. According to the 1901 census he lived in a boys refuge at 58 Anne St, Liverpool, England. In 1944 he was discharged from the Australian Army.

His parents were James & Rose McGlynn. His siblings families still reside in Ireland.

The above is from my Jensen-Grant family tree on MyHeritage.

Michael McGlynn 8 years 4 months ago #44548

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Well, in that case, my own thoughts would have to be that he would have been very unlikely to have actually served in South Africa during the Anglo Boer War and I think it does more or less rule out the handful of men with that name that I looked at.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.596 seconds