• Page:

TOPIC:

Edgar Etches 8 years 6 months ago #43795

• Jack Garrard
  • Jack Garrard's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am attaching a photo of an ancestor of mine, Edgar Etches, who I believe arrived in South Africa in 1900 as Pte. 5130 serving with the 13th Hussars ( having transferred from the 4th Hussars which he joined on the 20th August 1888 at the age of 18). He was awarded the QSA medal with clasps for Natal, OFS and the Transvaal. Subsequently he served with two divisions of the South African Constabulary - 1006B and 54 Reserve Divisions. He returned to Wandsworth, south London around March/April 1905. I am not sure whether the uniform in the photos is that of a soldier, perhaps a signaller, or whether this a a police uniform. I understand that he was stationed in a remote area while in the constabulary and signalling would have been a necessity. Could anyone help me please?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Edgar Etches 8 years 6 months ago #43800

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Hi Jack and welcome!

His hat is from the SAC so my guess is that this is a picture from his later service.

I checked for service papers for his but sadly none survived.

best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack Garrard

Edgar Etches 8 years 6 months ago #43811

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 453
Hello Jack,

Great picture, thanks for posting.

His papers are on FindmyPast and are the first I've read where a soldier did not report for mobilisation. Almost all regimental histories I've read proudly report how high the reporting rate was for reservists answering the call up, obviously Edgar felt he had better things to do!

His clasp entitlement in interesting, the Natal clasp was reclaimed on an SAC medal roll because he earned the Cape Colony clasp with that unit. The Natal and Cape Colony clasps were mutually exclusive. Whether that swap was made I don't know.

The SAC divisions he served with as B (Northern Transvaal, service number 1006) and Reserve Division (number 54). There should be papers in South Africa for his SAC service which I have found to very detailed.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack Garrard

Edgar Etches 8 years 3 months ago #44744

• Jack Garrard
  • Jack Garrard's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks David and Meurig for your comments. I'm particularly keen to obtain details of Edgar's time in the SAC. Upon his return to England in 1905 he stayed with his brother, Arthur, in Wandsworth and on Good Friday of that year he told him he was going to walk to Twickenham to visit some friends. However, the following day his dead body was dragged from Queensmere lake on Wimbledon Common by a keeper. At the inquest it was revealed that on the bank of the lake were Edgar's fedora and his discharge papers "all torn up". Arthur gave evidence and and admitted that Edgar's time in the SAC was an unhappy one. He was stationed "far up country" and found the loneliness hard to cope with. Although an open verdict was given I suspect that Edgar was suffering from some kind of depression or stress that wouldn't have been acknowledged in 1905 and committed suicide. I'd like to locate the SAC papers to see if they reveal anything about Edgar's behaviour or state of mind. Could you advise me on the best place to approach in South Africa to obtain the papers? Many thanks.

Edgar Etches 8 years 3 months ago #44745

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
Hi Jack.....

It is definitely the SAC uniform as he is wearing the SAC style slip on epaulettes which would have shown his division etc......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Edgar Etches 8 years 3 months ago #44748

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Interestingly, his re transfer to the Army Reserve is clearly shown in WO97, that is a great photograph, all the original Constabulary Stetsons were actually imported from North America and were known as BP's!

Jack Garrard wrote: I am attaching a photo of an ancestor of mine, Edgar Etches, who I believe arrived in South Africa in 1900 as Pte. 5130 serving with the 13th Hussars ( having transferred from the 4th Hussars which he joined on the 20th August 1888 at the age of 18). He was awarded the QSA medal with clasps for Natal, OFS and the Transvaal. Subsequently he served with two divisions of the South African Constabulary - 1006B and 54 Reserve Divisions. He returned to Wandsworth, south London around March/April 1905. I am not sure whether the uniform in the photos is that of a soldier, perhaps a signaller, or whether this a a police uniform. I understand that he was stationed in a remote area while in the constabulary and signalling would have been a necessity. Could anyone help me please?

Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.789 seconds