Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Major General Sir Edward Ritchie Coryton Graham 8 years 3 months ago #45032

• Will M
  • Will M's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
I would be interested in photos of the window and the memorial. I had all but forgotten this post. In a couple days I can post photos of the sword and look up any info I have found.
The sword is the 1895p infantry officers, made by Mole. Beautiful etching on the blade. From an auction, the auctioneer claiming it came from the family and a tag attached written by old hands (almost identical to my mothers writing who is 96). I do not doubt its authenticity as the sword is marked VRI (India) and Maj. Gen. Graham served in India and was born there in 1858.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Major General Sir Edward Ritchie Coryton Graham 8 years 3 months ago #45034

• devonmeg
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, Meg from Thornbury again. I forgot to say that he is also buried in the churchyard, together with his wife, so if anyone would like a photo of the grave and a transcription of the MI I also have them. The grave originally must have had a cross on it as it is referred to in the inscription, but this is now lost, presumably having toppled over and been removed.

Major General Sir Edward Ritchie Coryton Graham 8 years 3 months ago #45035

• devonmeg
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi, I will see what I need to do to reduce the size of the photos for posting. If you want high resolution ones I will probably need to send them directly to you. As I have just posted I also have photos of his grave and a transcript of the MI.

Major General Sir Edward Ritchie Coryton Graham 8 years 3 months ago #45036

• devonmeg
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
For those of you who would like photos of his window and grave as well as the war memorial in the Church porch and in the village, I have attached some photos. They are low resolution to allow posting so if anyone wants a better quality one then contact me with an email address and I will send them

Major General Sir Edward Ritchie Coryton Graham 8 years 3 months ago #45104

• Will M
  • Will M's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
Thank-you for the great photos of the window and the stones. This all adds to his history.

Here is his sword, a 1895 pattern made by Mole, a maker on par with Wilkinsons. Note the all leather scabbard, more typical of British India.
Tried to have the photos in this post but only got attachments at the bottom
Attachments:

Major General Sir Edward Ritchie Coryton Graham 8 years 3 months ago #45110

• devonmeg
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks for the sword pictures. As you say they all add to the picture. When I posted my pix there was a button alongside the upload which said 'insert' and I clicked this as well as uploading them and it put them in the message.

Meg

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 3.698 seconds