• Page:

TOPIC:

George Oakley of Hertfordshire 1882 12 years 3 weeks ago #2468

• kmsmith
  • kmsmith's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
I have been reseraching my family history and was interested to find that my great great grandfather was or may have been involved in and survived the Boar war. Born in 1882, george married Clara Oakley (his cousin) of Westmill, Hertfordshire. They married 2nd April 1898 in Cheshunt, Hertfordshire. I know that he survived his time in south africa, since he had children either side of the war.

I was intrigued by the 1901 census which lists all of the family, including George with the comment "in south africa" by his name. I have no idea of his involvement in the war, but I assume that he must have been part of the yeomanry. He comes from a family of horsekeepers and farriers.

I would like to find out as much about him as possible and would appreciate any help or direction anyone can give me.

Kind Regards
Kev.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

George Oakley of Hertfordshire 1882 1 year 9 months ago #83969

• Annie Oakley
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
My Grandfather Oakley was in the war as well. His children were Henry, George, Frank, Amy, Gordon and a few more. Hoping to find out more about him. Thanks! I have two pictures of him. his war pic has a curled mustache and one from a wedding around 1902ish. Moved to the US and lived in a farmhouse in MD/DC area.(My real name is Carol ,daughter of his youngest son, Frank Edward Oakley.

George Oakley of Hertfordshire 1882 1 year 8 months ago #84010

• kmsmith
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Carol,

Do you know where your Oakley's were from in Hertfordshire. Mine were largely from the village and surrounding area of Ardeley, near stevenage. I live in Stevenage myself. From what I can tell from the records and local graves there were two lines of Oakley in Hertfordshire, my group (which is certainly extensive in numbers), a group in St Albans area.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Annie Oakley

George Oakley of Hertfordshire 1882 1 year 8 months ago #84011

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 769
Hello Kev of Stevenage (I lived for 2 years in Stevenage when I worked at the Water Research Centre),

On Ancestry I found the 1901 Census return reporting Clara's husband being in SA. On Find My Past I also found some Army Service Records for a George Oakley who was born in Ardeley and who served in SA during the Boer War. However, he seems a bit too old and the records say he married an Elizabeth Plumb. They are extensive records as after four pages covering his initial time in the Bedfordshire Regt they go on to cover him re-enlisting aged 45 at the start of WW1. They appear to be kind to him after he is rejected by the Bedfordshire Regiment and assign him to an "Agricultural Labour Corps" at home.

Assuming you have access to find My Past choose the Military search option and simply enter George Oakley with Ardeley as his birthplace - the records I have mentioned are the first set. Otherwise send me your email address via the ABW Forum private message system (look up and right on our screen) and I will download and email them to you - to attach them to this message will be too tiresome as I will have to reduce them all in size.

David (I left Smethwick for Stevenage)

George Oakley of Hertfordshire 1882 1 year 8 months ago #84033

• kmsmith
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi David,

Thanks for the information, I would certainly be interested in reading the record but do not have access to Find My Past. If you could send them on that would be great. I will send you a private message.

Thanks
Kev

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.470 seconds