• Page:

TOPIC:

MY GRANDFATHER SAMUEL YOUNGS (1872-1960) 12 years 2 months ago #2375

• Stannich2
  • Stannich2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
The 1901 Census records his wife as "Head" of household. His sister told her daughter a particular family photograph was sent to him whilst he was serving in the Boer War. No military records in our possession, but we do know of his service in WWI and medals awarded. How do I find any Boer War service?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: MY GRANDFATHER SAMUEL YOUNGS (1872-1960) 12 years 2 months ago #2378

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Hello and welcome to the forum.

There is 2558 Gunner S Youngs who served in the Artillery (Norfolk RGA). Could that be him?

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: MY GRANDFATHER SAMUEL YOUNGS (1872-1960) 12 years 2 months ago #2379

• Stannich2
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you David - most helpful!! Your lead is the only one I have after a couple of years of searching! I only identified this site yesterday! Can you guide me, as to what I should now do to determine whether or not he is my grandfather Samuel? Although his wife lived in Trowbridge, Wiltshire in 1901 (Census) (near her birth family), Samuel's eldest son (Charles Henry Edward Youngs) was born in Woolwich in 1899, whilst grandfather was stationed at Woolwich Arsenal, and my mother(Florence Mabel Youngs) was born in Rivenhall, Essex, in 1903. This could point towards the RHA and RGA.

I am indebted to you, and any further help you could give me would be most gratefully received.

Stan

Re: MY GRANDFATHER SAMUEL YOUNGS (1872-1960) 11 years 4 months ago #7046

• Stannich2
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
David advised me that 2558 Gunner S Youngs could be my grandfather. His wife and children were living in Trowbridge, Wilts at the time! How can I find out more about Samuel, in order to ascertain whether or not he was my grandfather? Any help would be most gratefully received.

Stan Nicholls

Re: MY GRANDFATHER SAMUEL YOUNGS (1872-1960) 11 years 4 months ago #7047

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good morning,
Have you actually looked in WO363/364 at Kew, what exactly is impressed onto the Great War medals to which you refer to here?
Regards Frank

Stannich2 wrote: The 1901 Census records his wife as "Head" of household. His sister told her daughter a particular family photograph was sent to him whilst he was serving in the Boer War. No military records in our possession, but we do know of his service in WWI and medals awarded. How do I find any Boer War service?

Re: MY GRANDFATHER SAMUEL YOUNGS (1872-1960) 11 years 4 months ago #7055

• Stannich2
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you Frank.
I have not been to Kew, but intend to do so. What is covered by WO363/364?
The two WW1 medals: 1) 1914-1918 (on the rim: 323449 CPL. S. YOUNGS. LABOUR CORPS.)
2) THE GREAT WAR FOR CIVILISATION 1914-1919 (on the rim:
323449 CPL. S. YOUNGS. LABOUR CORPS.)

We have no confirmation that Samuel served in the Boer War, other than that already recorded on this site. David refers to 2558 Gunner S Youngs, serving in the Artillery (Norfolk RGA), but how would I be able to access information relating to this person? How can I access records which might include an address, leading to identification? Any help would be most gratefully received!!
Stan Nicholls

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.409 seconds