• Page:

TOPIC:

V.C. claim mystery 13 years 1 month ago #164

• renrag1943
  • renrag1943's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Whilst researching my family in New Zealand i have come across this newspaper article from 1900. The letter to which this refers was to Jacob Mckenny in Reefton New Zealand from his son also named Jacob. The article claims Jacob had been awarded the V.C. but from an initial look-up there was no Victoria Cross awarded to J. McKenny in the Boer War 1899-1902. Perhaps he may have been recommended for an award or even perhaps "mentioned in dispatches" but i'd have thought his reported rescue of a colonel would have some record somewhere? ... There appears no record of Jacob Mckenny's death in BDM in N.Z.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: V.C. claim mystery 13 years 1 month ago #165

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
I have looked at the DCMs and MIDs and cannot see his name.

But then I looked at the QSA roll (WO100/267 p133) and found him listed as 971 Trooper J McKenny, Roberts' Horse, entitled to clasps Joh, RoK, OFS.

The notes for his entry say he was presented with the QSA on 19 Dec 1912. He left Roberts' Horse 19 Dec 00 and also served in JMR with number 667 and with the Canadian Scouts with number 36817. These other rolls may have additional clasp entitlement.

There is also a note saying he was awarded the DCM and K (presumably King's Medal).

So I looked again at the DCMs and still could not locate him as McKenny, MacKenny, Kenny etc.

Some more investigation needed I think! This does though validate the award of the Soldier's VC, the DCM.

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: V.C. claim mystery 13 years 1 month ago #166

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
I couldn't resist a look at the JMR roll (WO100/253 p84). He is listed as John McKenny, entitled to the Tr clasp and previous service in Roberts' Horse.

His entry on the Canadian Scouts roll (WO100/287 p308) is crossed out with a not saying issued off the Robert's Horse roll and that he he also served in the JMR. His forename is again John.

I have been back to the published list of DCM recipients and looked at all the awards for Roberts' Horse. There is one man listed which I can only presume is him. The name is Trooper Chadwick, J McK.

Have you come across the name Chadwick in your research to date?

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: V.C. claim mystery 13 years 1 month ago #167

• renrag1943
  • renrag1943's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi David,
Meurig Jones ABWMV Research Services advised he did get a Mention in Dispatches - with the name "McKuiry Chadwick", the service number and initial confirmed it was McKenny. ie. "Trpr 971 J McKenny"
Jacob may well have used John as a first name in memory of his brother John who died at 4 yrs old 1874 in Bendigo, Victoria, Australia. Thanks for this further info. regards, Ross.

V.C. claim mystery 9 years 11 months ago #20299

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
Leonard McKuiry Chadwick is an entirely seperate person as far as I can see. He was an American who reveived the Queens Scarf.

There is also a Roberts Horse DCM to ED Patterson, so I do not think it is logical to link Chadwick and McKenny through being only one DCM on the list.

I have paged through the South African War Honours and Awards book and have found the MID for Chadwick and his DCM, but nothing for McKenny. It is 133 pages so I may have missed something.

Except for the notation on the QSA roll I have not been able to find anything. I would be interested to see what Meurig found with a number on it.

V.C. claim mystery 9 years 11 months ago #20301

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
Hello Ryan

As you asked. The Register shows J Mckinry Chadwick Robert's Horse with the Literary References "HA 43, 99"

HA = South African War Honours and Awards, 1899-1902. Officers and Men of the Army and Navy Mentioned in Despatches (1902). Arms & Armour Press with Hayward & Hall, 1971

page 43 = Lord Roberts' Recommendations, April 2 1901 "for meritorious service"
page 99 = DCM awards

If the medal is not in Abbott then it may have been rescinded, or Abbott has missed it or it is listed under a different name.

Regards
Meurig

rdarby wrote: Leonard McKuiry Chadwick is an entirely seperate person as far as I can see. He was an American who reveived the Queens Scarf.

There is also a Roberts Horse DCM to ED Patterson, so I do not think it is logical to link Chadwick and McKenny through being only one DCM on the list.

I have paged through the South African War Honours and Awards book and have found the MID for Chadwick and his DCM, but nothing for McKenny. It is 133 pages so I may have missed something.

Except for the notation on the QSA roll I have not been able to find anything. I would be interested to see what Meurig found with a number on it.

Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.417 seconds