TOPIC:

Hugh Little any help please 12 years 4 months ago #1604

• Anderson
  • Anderson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all
I have been trying for many years to trace any record of my grandads uncle born 27/8/1875 Scotland and died in Standerton, Orange Free State 18th Sep 1902. Can anybody tell me where I might be able to find a death certificate?
His name was Hugh Bilsland Little but I have seen his middle name wrongly spelt with many variations including both Bilslard and Balyard (I only know the right spelling as both my grandfather and father were named after him) Thanks in advance for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Hugh Little any help please 12 years 4 months ago #1605

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Try searching the online index of the South African Archives:
www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm300dl

I had a quick search but found nothing. Then, I have found that the archives turn up nothing one day and the next day they do so perhaps do a couple over searches over a few days just to make sure if you can't find anything on your first search.

Cheers,

Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anderson

Re: Hugh Little any help please 12 years 4 months ago #1609

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
I don't know if this will be of any interest to you, but the following is an entry in Steve Watt's book, 'In Memoriam':

4570 Pte H Little, 18th Hussars. Died of disease (Pneumonia). Standerton. 17/9/1902. Buried at Standerton.

A small point, Standerton is in the Transvaal, not the Orange Free State. This may help with a search of the SA Archives, as Mark suggested. (Strictly speaking since this is the New South Africa, Standerton is now in the Province of Mpumalanga and the Transvaal no longer exists.)

Brett

Re: Hugh Little any help please 12 years 4 months ago #1616

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4531
4570 H Little was a Talana man.

Little, 4570 Private H, 18th Hussars | QSA (5) Tal DoL OFS Tr LN, KSA (2) | A Squadron. Died of pneumonia, Standerton, 17 Sep 02 | Ref: QSA: WO100/118p238 KSA: WO100/305p273

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Hugh Little any help please 12 years 4 months ago #1634

• Anderson
  • Anderson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for all the help, it has given me some things to think about...a friend of mine found a record in GRO Army Deaths for 5305 H Little joined Seaforth Highlanders Aug 1895 aged 19 died 'unknown station' Standerton 1902. I will have to try and get more info on both records and see if there is a place of birth and/or middle name or is it possible that it is the same man switched regiments? I wonder if these records would be available at Kew archives

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.382 seconds