• Page:

TOPIC:

Arthur Place 12 years 6 months ago #1333

• Gersun
  • Gersun's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello everybody im hoping someone may be able to help me find out which regiment my great great uncle Arthur Place served in during the Boer war. During the 1960s my grandmother showed me some medals, letters and a photo of Arthur all relating to his service during the Boer war, sadly this was the only time i saw them. They disapeared after my grand parents deaths, and all i can remember is his name. I know he survived as he was absent from 1901 census but was present on 1911 census. Other info I have on him was he was born 1877 in Barnsley Yorkshire and lived before and after the war in Castleford Yorkshire. his occupation was colliery banksman and he married in 1907.
I did a search on Find my Past which produced an A Place who served in the Sherwood Forresters but did not give any service number or any other identifying info.
Any suggestions as to how to proceed would be gratefully recieved.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Arthur Place 12 years 6 months ago #1337

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Hi, I can find two men [A. Place] in the rosters. The 1st Bn, Sherwood Foresters Notts & Derbyshire man's number was 5589 and his rank is Private. The other was a Private with number 3991 in the 2nd Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment.

If you do a search on Findmypast and look under British Army Service Records 1760-1915 there is an Arthur Place born 1877 in Barnsley, Yorkshire listed. The only other A Place listed is Alfred Place born 1879 in Castleford, Yorkshire. The former sounds likely to be your grandfather. If this man is send me a private message with his details and I'll send you the details of clasps received on his medal/s.

Cheers,

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.313 seconds