• Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Pte. Frank Croxford, RAMC, Defence of Ladysmith 12 years 6 months ago #1253

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4531
Hello Mark,

A very interesting thread as Wepener is my current research focus. There were some Imperial troops present (Royal Scots, RE, RGA plus a few others), I have not come across any from the RAMC who were present.

I had a look at the QSA roll and concur that the cross in the Wepener column relates to the SA01 and SA02 clasps and not to the issue of the Wepener clasp itself. I have seen this recently on a Talana clasps to the CGA but in that instance someone had actually added the clasp to the medal!

Here's an edited image of the roll and column headings:

His papers are available and if you check these I would think they would confirm the hypothesis.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Pte. Frank Croxford, RAMC, Defence of Ladysmith 12 years 6 months ago #1254

• Mark Wilkie
  • Mark Wilkie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 45
Thanks, David,

Lol! I've just looked at his papers and learnt it would have been impossible for Frank Croxford to have been at Ladysmith. He only enlisted in the RAMC on 12 January 1900 in London. He came out to South Africa on 21 August 1900 and returned to England on 18 November 1903. He did indeed get both the QSA and KSA but has just South Africa 1901 & 1902 listed under clasps (both medals).

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Pte. Frank Croxford, RAMC, Defence of Ladysmith 12 years 6 months ago #1288

• Mark Wilkie
  • Mark Wilkie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 45
Seems Frank Croxford had a younger brother named Thomas who enlisted in 5th Bn Rifle Brigade in early 1901. In October he signed on short service in the Royal Field Artillery and later extended his service. He was posted to South Africa in Sept 1907 and was killed in a railway accident at Vereeniging in November 1910.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.535 seconds