Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Pte. Frank Croxford, RAMC, Defence of Ladysmith 12 years 6 months ago #1177

• Mark Wilkie
  • Mark Wilkie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 45
Hi all, I'm looking for any service info on a relative, 12982 Pte. Frank James Croxford, Royal Army Medical Corps. The family story is he was present in Ladysmith during the siege. Nothing further is known about his service.

WO 100/222 shows Defence of Ladysmith, SA 1901, & SA 1902 clasps. WO 100/351 shows he received KSA. The clasp for Defence of Ladysmith would seem to confirm the family story.

Thanks,

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Pte. Frank Croxford, RAMC, Defence of Ladysmith 12 years 6 months ago #1242

• Mark Wilkie
Having a good look at WO 100/222 I noticed that there is an entry noting that Frank Croxford was issued a clasp for Wepener on 11 March 1904. It also has him listed as being at No.15 General Hospital, Howick when the QSA roster was completed 15 July 1901. I see there is a little bit about No.15 General Hospital, Howick on ABWF with a few photos. Any possible further info on Frank's time at Howick of his involvement at Wepener would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Re: Pte. Frank Croxford, RAMC, Defence of Ladysmith 12 years 6 months ago #1243

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 433
Hello Mike,

I would say that if the DOL and Wepener clasps are confirmed for this chap then you have, I believe, a pretty scarce entitlement to the RAMC.

He would not have the SA 1901 and SA 1902 clasps attached to his QSA if he was awarded the KSA.

Regards

Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Re: Pte. Frank Croxford, RAMC, Defence of Ladysmith 12 years 6 months ago #1246

• Mark Wilkie
Thanks, Adrian,
Your comment about being a "scarce entitlement" caused me to go back and have a really good look again at the WO 100/222 and to compare several pages. Having a good look I now believe the entry under Wepener is a note on the issuing of the SA 1901 & 1902 clasps. Although there is an "X" in the Wepener column there isn't the word "yes" and it seems from all the other pages from the WO 100/222 that both an "X" and "yes" need to be entered to denote a clasp. "X" on its own is just a note/reference to the "X" above the "yes" in other clasp columns. It would appear that as far as clasps go that Frank had Defence of Ladysmith and SA 1901 & 1902. His KSA was only issued later on WO 100/351 so it would appear that he had been issued SA 1901 & 1902 clasps before he received his actual KSA. Presumably he fitted these to his KSA when he received it. The fate of Frank's medals are mystery. They don't appear to have been passed on to his two daughters.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Pte. Frank Croxford, RAMC, Defence of Ladysmith 12 years 6 months ago #1247

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 433
Hello Mark,

I think you are probably correct with your assumption and your answer explains it all.

It would however be very nice to find his medals as that would confirm what clasps have indeed been attached.

Cheers

Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Re: Pte. Frank Croxford, RAMC, Defence of Ladysmith 12 years 6 months ago #1248

• Mark Wilkie
Hi Adrian, I would be thrilled if I were able to find his medals. Strange how medals so often just seem to vanish without a trace. I have a great grandfather where the roll shows his QSA was returned unissued. Another great grandfather and a host of great great uncles [all except one] whose QSAs have all vanished without a trace. I guess there's still hope while they're missing.

Cheers,

Mark

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.442 seconds