Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cavalry Regiment/Colour Sergeant, under General French 9 years 2 weeks ago #26843

• gray_marian
  • gray_marian's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, Hoping for the impossible! Trying to locate any information regarding a friend's grandfather who he thinks served in a Cavalry Regiment under General French. His name was Patrick McGuckin [also known as Peter] born in Moneymore, Londonderry, Ireland 1862. Died in Durham, England 1949. He served over 20 years and was invalided out after the Siege of Mafeking. Prior to this he believes his grandfather also served at the The Egypt & Sudan Campaign and in India and China before that. He remembers too that he may have moved regiments whilst serving, ending as a Colour Sergeant. We would appreciate any information or guidance on where to look next. Thank you, Marian.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cavalry Regiment/Colour Sergeant, under General French 9 years 2 weeks ago #26849

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
If you are quite sure about the mans name, there are very few men that would fit in with the details you have given, are talking about the Anglo Boer War when you make mention of General French and his cavalry?

gray_marian wrote: Hello, Hoping for the impossible! Trying to locate any information regarding a friend's grandfather who he thinks served in a Cavalry Regiment under General French. His name was Patrick McGuckin [also known as Peter] born in Moneymore, Londonderry, Ireland 1862. Died in Durham, England 1949. He served over 20 years and was invalided out after the Siege of Mafeking. Prior to this he believes his grandfather also served at the The Egypt & Sudan Campaign and in India and China before that. He remembers too that he may have moved regiments whilst serving, ending as a Colour Sergeant. We would appreciate any information or guidance on where to look next. Thank you, Marian.

Cavalry Regiment/Colour Sergeant, under General French 9 years 2 weeks ago #26850

• gray_marian
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Yes, thank you Frank

Cavalry Regiment/Colour Sergeant, under General French 9 years 2 weeks ago #26851

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
gray_marian
I had a quick look through my CD for members of the Cavalry in the ABW and no sight of a "P.McGuckin" or a "P. MacGuckin" for that matter. I also had a run through my Imperial Yeomanry CD and, similarly, no sight. Just on the off-chance, I had a look on the Mafeking Siege Register; no luck. Not that General French was involved at Mafeking.
Have you had a look on the commercial sites such as ancestry? In any case, we really need more info from whatever source you can find. Your friend's family, perhaps? Prior service in the "Egypt & Sudan campaign and in India and China" would indicate a soldier with long service.
Regards
IL.

Cavalry Regiment/Colour Sergeant, under General French 9 years 2 weeks ago #26852

• gray_marian
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I appreciate your response IL. Have searched Ancestry.com & FMP all I could locate was his death certificate, and his son's birth details.
Patrick's son is also dead so only my friend left. He received the information from his mother. He is based in Canada so not awake as yet. Will return this afternoon once I hear from him. He did imply that his grandfather was in the Army for over 20 years. Thank you for your trouble so far. Marian

Cavalry Regiment/Colour Sergeant, under General French 9 years 2 weeks ago #26853

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
In that case, I really think this is likely to be just one of those family stories, there is no one that stands out to be quite honest, there was a fellow in the artillery with that name who had served in Egypt, but, he was invalided in 1882,

gray_marian wrote: Yes, thank you Frank

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.469 seconds