• Page:

TOPIC:

Donald George Smith 9 years 2 months ago #25425

• DAQC
  • DAQC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am researching Captain Donald George Smith, the brother of the Founder of the Boys' Brigade. He was born in Thurso in Scotland in 1856 and emigrated to South Africa in 1895. He enrolled in the Imperial Light Infantry, at Durban in 1899. The records of the Imperial Light Infantry state that he was "Removed from the Service 23.8.00". He was awarded the South Africa Medal with bars for Transvaal, Laing's Nek, Relief of Ladysmith, and Tugela Heights, issued on the 29th March 1902. I am wondering what the words "Removed from the Service" imply; whether he served elsewhere; or anything else that this might mean. He died in South Africa, but I have no idea where or when (save that he is recorded as being in Natal at some stage), and I don't know what he was doing. I will be very grateful for any help that anyone can give. Many thanks. David.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Donald George Smith 9 years 2 months ago #25428

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello David,
That is an interesting question, I take it you have that from WO127, as there are no papers here for SAMIF officers, as the ILI was not disbanded until, July the following year, from memory about the 15th, in Pietermaritzburg, I would have to say he was perhaps cashiered given the way it is worded, I wonder why, if that was indeed the case.
Regards Frank Kelley

Donald George Smith 9 years 1 month ago #26121

• DAQC
  • DAQC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Frank.

Would there have been any records in South Africa relating to the Imperial Light Infantry? There was only the one record in the National Archive in the UK and that simply said what I have recorded. It is a perplexing mystery, especially as he then disappeared with out trace and I have no idea where the records of deaths in Natal may have been recorded.

Best wishes

David

Donald George Smith 9 years 1 month ago #26126

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello David,
The ILI was not raised by the colony, so I doubt if you will find very much, if you feel he subsequently became a resident in the colony, you should have a comprehensive search made at the archives in Pietermaritzburg.
Regards Frank

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.358 seconds